BassinMaumee

Best running blanks?!?

Well I cant speak for the others that sell unpainted blanks but we try our best to check them for leaks and running true. Now keep in mind we receive alot of these at a time and its nearly imossible to check every one. One thing I have always offered to all customers is that if you receive something your not happy with we replace it or give a refund. I think thats about the best anyone could ask for. If we tested every lure it would drive the price up. I also offer customers information on how to leak test there baits and seal them if there are any. I wouldnt recommend for anybody to paint the bait before testing it first regardless of who you buy your baits from. Speaking from experience, the other companies that sell baits unpainted do there best to make sure the customer is happy. Sometimes a bad one or two will slip through the cracks, thats just part of manufacturing. I am always willing to help, just ask! MAV

www.crankbaitcomponents.com

You can find imported blanks that mimic popular commercial crankbaits but the internal compartments, wall thickness, and amount of ballast is NOT the same. They sell based on their resemblance but are entirely different. Don't buy a $2 blank that mimics a $15-20 Japanese crankbait expecting it to fish the same. It won't. That said, you can sort through a number of blanks and find some that make decent baits. And that's the problem - sorting through them. One I like is the little shallow fat 1/4 oz bait sold by Janns. JMHO, a good alternative is to buy name brand baits from the "$2 Bin" at Walmart, BassPro, Gander Mtn, Dicks, etc. They are usually discontinued or unpopular (aka "What were they thinking?) colors. Same goes for Ebay, if you have the patience for it.

I have bought blanks from Janns, Mav, and Predator. And if the baits from Mav or Predator are what your after I would buy from them. Most of them seem to be a little better quality IMO. The pointer jerkbait Predator sells with the glass beads flat out rocks.

IMO for the price, the H2O baits are the best quality for repaints. They run good and cost about $5 each. They are the closest thing I have seen to a Lucky Craft w/o the big price tag. The same can be said for discounted Rapala baits, people love those DT's for some reason.

But like Bob mentioned, I will also buy discounted Luckys and repaint. If you watch close you can get them for $9-$10 ea. Look at it this way; you can throw the same paint job on a $10 LC and a $3 no-name and get $25 out of the LC and maybe $9 out of the no-name. Same amount of labor/cost, but the profit margin is bigger on the LC.

"Improving plastic blanks" - There's not much you can do within reason to improve a plastic blank. "Can't make a silk purse out of a plastic sow's ear". I check the hardware to make sure it's straight and lines up. If not, bend it straight. If the bait has insufficient ballast, you can drill a hole and add more if the internal cavity permits - but that's a big hassle and can result in stuck ballast beads, making the bait float lopsided. Best advice is to listen when somebody reports that a particular blank is especially good, and buy that one. You gotta pick and choose.

I second the H2O baits,they are good baits and you can get them at your local Acadamy Sports for a little over three dollars.They have a few good colors and several not sogood.Maybe they will improve on thier colors or maybe not so we can just paint our favorite colors on them...Rob

I dont have a local academy lol, I live in Ohio! Whats the best way to get these h2o baits here? Ebay?

Coming Soon. This bait will be available soon unpainted. All these will be leak tested and will sell for around 3.00 ea. One size to start with and then a few more after the molds are finished and prototypes are tested. This bait is similar to both the H2O's and Lucky Crafts but the weighting is different. MAV www.crankbaitcomponents.com

Edited by Mavrick

Coming Soon. This bait will be available soon unpainted. All these will be leak tested and will sell for around 3.00 ea. One size to start with and then a few more after the molds are finished and prototypes are tested. This bait is similar to both the H2O's and Lucky Crafts but the weighting is different. MAV www.crankbaitcomponents.com

Just curious to why these will be so much higher than your other unpainted lures? Not complaining just wondering.They look goos though...Rob