brendandrage

Lipless crankbaits

Brendan

I have made these, with varying results - this is something relatively new in this country (like swim baits) so I am no expert and there are heaps of guys there who would have made the larger U.S variety of 'lipless'.

I know what you are after as these 'Lake Police", like some of their other offerings is a very nice lure (IMO).

I made these recently and found the secret is (like 'swim baits) is to ballast them neutral to sinking (depending on where you want them), I find a ballast bias towards the front is the go, but you need to experiment with 'your' profiles - these are 3 1/4" long. I found testing in the bath tub was not definitive, the action is so subtle, only the real world testing on the end of a rod, in a lake/pond shows the true action, which seems to be irresistible to Trout Bass, Bream and Flat Head here- very similar to some 'Rapala' actions.

The top one is the real 'Killer'.Pete

lemon.jpg[/img]

same lure with bevelled front:

Brown2.jpg[/img]

Edited by hazmail

Hi Hazmail,

Your lures look great mate,I had a crack at making a wooden version of a rapala clackn rap, not too bad for a beginner, but much room for improvement. I was wondering if someone out there may have a tutorial that shows how to refine or clean up the lures to get them symetrical after the rough cut out. That seems to be the bit I am failing at the moment. I am also wondering how work out where to attach the tow point.

One other thing you may be able to help me out with is devcon 2 ton, apparently they are not selling it in Aus any more, any suggestions on a replacement?

Regards

Brendan

Oh so many more questions.............:?

brendandrage,

Pete's the man when it comes to minnow-type lipless lures.

If you're thinking of rattle trap-type lipless cranks, do a search on this site for lipless cranks, and you should find stuff that will help.

Typically the top of the head on a rattle trap is the diving bill, the depth it runs is a combination of the weight of the lure and the speed of the retrieve.

Look up some of the more popular models online, and you'll see they all share basic shapes, and hook and line tie locations, and you can get a good idea of ballast placement by looking at some of the ghost/transparent versions.

Good luck.

Brendan - If you go to 'Member submitted tutorials', there is information on using templates etc for your profiles - Then get on your computer ('Microsoft Paint') and draw up something or find a profile of a lipless you like and reduce/enlarge it to what you want, print onto paper then stick it on a piece of aluminum or plastic sheet, cut it out and you have a 'template' and away you go.pete