Mags

Tip Drying - Water based Polytranspar

Anyone have any suggestion for retarding tip drying with this paint? I just started using it (waterbased variety - from Waasco) and I was continually having to wipe the needle clean. It was hot in the shop yesterday (about 90), but I usually don't have clogging issues with the Createx or Tamiya paints I use. Painting with this stuff was chore, as it just instantly gummed up the tip. They talk about a retarder on the lable, but is there a home brew I might try before I send them some more money?

I copied this from airbrush.com, which has lots of tips re airbrush use:

"reduce tip dry by adding glycerine to your paint ,this is an additive that has been used for many years in the paint trade to retard drying times

dilute with water first then add a little at a time ,don't use too much or your paint wont dry

glycerin or glycerol as it is also know is very safe in fact its a common food aditive and medicine

you can also use Propylene glycol which is a non toxic form of antifreeze it is also used as a retarder in acrylic paint and used in the food and cosmetics industry

WARNING!! DO NOT CONFUSE THIS WITH ETHYLENE GLYCOL WHICH IS EXTREMELY POISONOUS WARNING!!"

I've been toying with the idea of having a plastic container with a wet sponge inside, and hole in the sides just big enough for air brushes to slip into tightly. That way the tips stay wet.

I'd probably number the holes, so I wouldn't mix colors, and I'd take the wet sponge out and wash it at the end of each session. If I had a lot of colors to do, I'd rotate the sponge inside the plastic container enough to expose clean sponge, and continue.

Like I said, it's just an idea I've been kicking around for a while now, but haven't actually tried it.

Thanks for the suggestions. The sponge idea probably wouldn't have worked yesterday. The paint was drying almost instantly on the tip. I'm sure the high temperature had a lot to do with it. I wish my shop was temperature controlled. It would make life a lot easier.

Edited by Mags

I've been toying with the idea of having a plastic container with a wet sponge inside, and hole in the sides just big enough for air brushes to slip into tightly. That way the tips stay wet.

I'd probably number the holes, so I wouldn't mix colors, and I'd take the wet sponge out and wash it at the end of each session. If I had a lot of colors to do, I'd rotate the sponge inside the plastic container enough to expose clean sponge, and continue.

Like I said, it's just an idea I've been kicking around for a while now, but haven't actually tried it.

My experience with sponges always left me dealing with little pieces of the sponge sticking to the airbrush everytime I turned around....seemed the needle loved to tear off mini chunks....different types of sponges didn't help but natural sea sponges gave me less trouble then the kitchen style.

I'll try the retarder. I did try Windex and didn't have much luck getting it to flow better. The stuff just sticks like glue. I thin with ammonia free windex or isopropyl alcohol. Does anyone know if this paint is considered an acrylic? I don't have the catalog in front of me and it doesn't say on the web site. If so, I have some Liquitex airbrush medium that should help it flow better. I have read that a lot of people use this.

By the way, the airbrush.com site has a lot of good info. Thanks for the site.

Steve