RayburnGuy

paint question

Ben- you must be using 'clear' or 'Opaque' colours, good solid colours, especially blue over yellow should not change that much. Not sure what sort of paint you are using , but if water based acrylic maybe you should try a few coats of each colour, if it is watered down a lot then ANY one coat will be opaque. If it is thinners based then one colour is probably eating into the other and mixing??????????????pete

Hey Pete,

Sorry for being so vague. Should have listed the type of paint. All I've been using is Createx water based paint straight out of the bottle. So far there has been no need to thin it. Yesterday it was Opaque Blue shot over Fluorescent Yellow. As soon as the blue hit the yellow it turned green. If I keep shooting blue it will eventually overpower the yellow, but if your trying to do a fade between the blue and yellow you can forget it. It will just keep turning green until you have completely painted over the yellow.

I must be confused on the meaning of opaque. I thought opaque was the opposite of transparent. Whatever it is it's still turning green. lol

Welcome to the wonderful world of airbrushing.....also known as "Why the heck won't this work"....lol. Actually your just running into something airbrushers deal with alot....its more of an optical illusion kinda thing....chances are your blue or yellow didn't change to green, but it just appears that way....put two colors next to each other and they change the way the other color looks....since your spraying tiny droplets of color that are scattered on top of another color the droplets appear to change color.

Usually once you get enough paint coverage the optical effect of the two colors mixing goes away except right at the edge where the two colors meet.....that is assuming your using opague paints?...those are the non-transparent ones....forget everything I just said if your using kandies or transparent paints....they act more like dyes and you can see thru them.

Holey paint fumes Batman. Now I have to deal with optical illusions? I may have to start drinking again. :sauced:

What you said about the edges describes the exact problem. So I'm guessing there isn't much you can do about it? :?

Hahaha....actually optical illusion might not of been the best way to discribe it....I believe it would be more correct to refer to it as a "color shift"....something I personally know little about, but deal with on a regular basis.....the master of dealing with this is Dru Blair Aviation and Star Trek Art by Dru Blair In fact he wrote an article and now teaches classes on what he calls his "Color buffer theory" Dru Blairs Color Buffer Theory He explains why this happens and how to compensate or correct it......its not easy to grasp just from what reading i've done.....I'd love to take Dru's course and see him do what he does in person and maybe that'd help me understand it better.

I just deal with it....I use alot of kandy colors in my daily airbrushing, so i'm constantly dealing with "other colors" that get created when you blend one over the next....you kinda learn what blends nicely over what and what turns to mud...lol

You might try blending a blue pearl over the yellow and see what difference that makes...the pearls don't act the same as paint....be worth a try if you've got some pearls?

It's mixing colors to get secondary colors. Blue and yellow mixed make green. The popular Sexy Shad pattern is a case in point. It has a blue back and a yellow stripe below it. If you look closely, a thin gray "buffer" is usually present between the blue and yellow to prevent them from overlapping and making green.