finfever

Screw Eye...?????????

@ finfever

Guess , that it won't be a matter of the size of a jointed swimbait in general , but of the sizes of each segment .

Naturally , the longer the screw eyes shank , the better it will hold up , but certainly one is limited by lure dimensions .

Also mounting screw eyes with their shanks located under an angle versus proposed pulling direction of a fish adds to their strength , also to epoxy them , not just twist them in .

I have had bad experiences with brass screw eyes , these may easily snap off , when twisting them into hardwood , .......I go for stainless steel ones exclusively .

So well ,...... the conclusion would be to choose your eye screws as long , as the lure designs dimemsions do permit , so you could achieve maximum strength , .........a good selection of stainless eye screws(sizes described) you can find here :

Welcome to Moore's Lures

good luck , diemai:yay:

PS : Two coats sprayed on should do for some testing , no problem ,.........but you'd need to buff that coat later for priming , ......or if it does not adhere too well , sand it off again totally !

Edited by diemai
text addition

@ finfever

Got the same problem ,..... PVC decking is not a very common material over here in Germany , would have to mailorder for it as well , ..........but I'd like to touch and feel the material before buying ;)!

Good luck with your lure projects , .........greetz , diemai:yay:

Edited by diemai

I use both .072 and .092 gauge sst screw eyes. If I have a hook attached to a segment, or to any segment behind the hinge assembley, I use the .092, and make sure it's at least 1 1/4" long, to give lots of embedment. I run them in, then run them back out, and coat them with brush-on crazy glue, and then run them back in again. The brush-on glue is slow enough setting to give me a chance to adjust the hinge opening by running the screweyes in or out a little as needed.

If I were useing Poplar, I'd coat it with Minwax Wood Hardener as a sealer before I tested it, and I'd predrill the screw eye and hook hanger holes to be sure the wood hardener penetrates them, too.

Water intrusion is what kills wood lures, and jointed wood lures have lots of points of potential water intrusion. Water can both make the finish fail, and make the wood rot, if it gets into hinge or hook hanger holes.