.dsaavedra.

Primer Color

What color primer do you guys prefer?

i was thinking of using black primer, because i recently coated a few baits in black paint because i figured metallic silver (the base color of my bait) would show up better on black than white. but i think some other colors might show up better on white.

so what color primer should i buy?

For metallic silver as base color, black is actually the preferred base color. Some of the chrome paints benefit from black base as well. Experiment as see what you like best, some other color as base (red, brown etc) will give you different effect as well.

Polytranspar Superhide White. It's a very good acrylic white basecoat that will cover any underlying pattern in max 2 shots. It also has good adhesion and forms a durable base.

i bought a bottle of this. i tried using it as a base coat once but this was with my old tip (bent) and it didn't work out well. it was probably the nozzle restricting flow. i'll try it again.

Ive been reading and reading this post trying to understand why the primer color is important. This is my opinion. If the colors you use are opaque and you can see the black under the silver you need more silver to cover the black. If you can see white under the silver you need more silver. If you are trying to achieve a tranparent look then you need an undercoat that will complement what you are trying to do. I hope this does not confuse you even worse. But if I had to buy different color primers I would buy black and white then you can mix any color from light to dark. I use different base coats to get this look.