bobv

Dick Nite question

I use DN to dip baits in with excellent results, but my latest project requires a sprayed on clear. I tried thinning the DN with acetone but got orange peel even after lowering the air pressure. Any ideas out there other than a different clear coat?

Try just misting on the first few coats, and not waiting very long between coats. You should only need to wait a few minutes between all but the thickest coats. Think 3 parts DN to 1 part acetone. Might actually get better results with higher pressure.

Also could be paint compatability issue, maybe the paint doesn't like the acetone. If you have an airbrush with a big nozzle, you could try spraying it unthinned, it's definitely thin enough to spray but I don't know how well it'd level out.

Looking at paint problem sites they mention orange peel is caused by the paint drying too quick, or drying before it hits the surface. I thought too much acetone and too high pressure would cause that. I don't know just looking of an answer. I have 2 coats on, the second better that the first but still not smooth. I will try less acetone and a little thicker coat this time. Thanks for the input guys. Bob

Try thinning/reducing more! More thinner/reducer will keep the paint in a fluid state longer so it is given an opportunity to flow out.

Essentially orange peel is caused by the paint not flowing out or being atomized properly. Which can be caused by any of the aforementioned reasons. You might consider using a automotive lacquer thinner which won't dry as fast as acetone.