BrianB

Fish head spin type bait question (swivel embeded in lead)

I am doing a few fish head spin type baits modifying a do it mold. My problem is over half of the baits I pour the swivels don't swivel... I assume lead is getting inside the swivel and freezing up the swivel on the outside loop. I've tried some vaseline with a little bit of improvement in my ratio but there has to be a simple thing I can do to get a 100% or close to it? Any ideas?

Sorry Brian but Cadman gave you the best and quickest fix. Any time you modify a mold you can run into this problem. Heck, I've seen it on by Pony Head mold when using sickle hooks you'll get a small bunch of lead around the head of the swivel.

You can carefully try and remove it and most times it comes off, but if you modified the mold you probably took out too much material hence the JB weld fix.

As everyone else has said if you come up with something better let us know, cause I know Cad told me about the JB Weld fix and I've used it. This is a common problem when you modify, somthing you just have to live with or take the advice given.

If you can post a picture of the jig with how much lead is coming through, if it's a trim job no big deal but if we can see it maybe we can help you in how to use the JB's to fix the problem.

Fatman

Edited by Fatman

Maybe I didn't make myself clear. I am molding HALF of the swivel inside the head of the bait like with a fish head spin. I am using the Ultra Minnow Jig mold

Do-it Molds: Ultra Minnow Jig

I have carved out a place in the belly of the mold to accept the barrel part of the swivel. I put the swivel in that slot and pour the lead in. To give you an idea. Half of the barrel of the swivel is exposed and half is embeded in lead.

SOMETIMES the outer swivel loop that is exposed after I pour the head moves very freely and turns 360 very easily which is what I want. And other times it's welded shut and wont' turn any at all or very littel. I assume the lead is getting through the other end of the swivel freezing up the exposed end?? Just want to make sure I am on the same page?

Thanks

Brian

OK .. see what is happening.

I don't think you will keep the lead out of what you are doing ... You only need to get the loop of one end molded in .... not only will you get the lead in but if the one loop does swivele it will not be to the max as both ends need to swivele.

You can use the JB Weld to modifiy.

Hope this helps

My :twocents:

JSC

Kelly that is what I was thinking as well. I figure since half of htem are coming out OK then it shouldn't take much to clog a hole. I tried vaseline but the mold got hot pretty quick and it melted but it did work OK.. Not great but OK. Clay would be less messy...

...My problem is over half of the baits I pour the swivels don't swivel... I assume lead is getting inside the swivel and freezing up the swivel on the outside loop.

... there has to be a simple thing I can do to get a 100% or close to it? Any ideas?

Yes, you can remedy this easily. Put a couple wraps of thin soft copper wire around the shank of the swivel eyelet that goes into the mold. Trim the wire ends close. That will seal-off the entrance to the inside of the swivel. Do not allow your swivels to become pre-warmed-- keep them at room temp.

Hope this helps, good luck!