cutbait

Repaints for striper

These are my third attempt at repaints. First was a firetiger that was less than spectacular. #2 was a chartreuse lipless, which was serviceable, not great.

I would like any constructive criticism? I have not put any topcoat on and would like suggestions. I am leaning to a Parks product from Home Depot I saw mentioned on this site. I do have a BBQ rotisiary rigged up for turning the baits.

Used Createx pearlized white base, with Createx black top, and Glitter glue. I know the glitter glue is not the choice for many of you but its ease attracted me to it.

Not looking to spend $50 plus bucks for a gallon of finish. Didn't like the two part epoxy on my first effort.

What are my options?

Striper018.jpg

Striper021.jpg

Striper024.jpg

Striper025.jpg

Thanks again for any help guys. Your opinion would be appreciated

Mike.

Sorry, I was referring to the "Parks" finish you cited in your post.

Everyone would like a tough, hard-as-nails, waterproof, non-yellowing, one part, water based, fast drying, cheap, easy to store, dippable/sprayable topcoat. Me too! But after checking with guys who try various candidates and trying a couple myself, I keep coming back to epoxy, moisture cured polyurethane like Dick Nite, or high solids auto clearcoats requiring catalysts. I hear good reports about them and not so good reports on other coatings. JMHO, for striper lures that are going to be trolled for hours and hopefully gnawed on by big stripers (and maybe bluefish in saltwater), I'd choose one of the 3 options above if my priority was keeping the finish on the lures.

DO NOT USE POLYACRYLIC! Polyacrylic is not waterproof. There is a similar topcoat from Component Systems waterbased seal coat lure finish. that works reasonably well; I brushed it on but it would probably work better sprayed. I don't like this topcoat as it is slightly brittle and will chip, but it will work (although not as well as epoxy). If you do use it, make sure you turn it while drying or it will run.

Hope this helps.

Ben