• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 grove city skeeter

grove city skeeter

• TU Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 07:43 PM

I.m trying to find a good composite material to build swimbaits. Does anyone have a site that sells composite blanks?

Advanced Member

• TU Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 09:04 PM

I would use pvc trim board from menards or home depot you can cut/carve your own

#3 Them Muskie Lures

Them Muskie Lures

• TU Member
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 10:03 PM

I have been trying to use AZEK PVC board from Home Depot. For crankbaits, I can't seem to get the action that I am looking for like I can with Cedar. I am still playing with it some. If you want to try some out. I have a 1 x 2 board that you can have. I notice you live in Grove City. I live in Marysville. Be glad to help you out.

#4 mark poulson

mark poulson

Advanced Member

• TU Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,797 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 06:03 PM

After our conversation online, I started thinking about the difference in buoyancy between AZEK and Cedar.
I put rattles in my AZEK baits by drilling a 1/4" through hole where the eyes go, from one side to the other, countersinking the hole with a 5/16" forstner bit, and using discs of aluminum can I punch out to seal both ends (using brush-on crazy glue so it won't run into the chamber and freeze the bearing) after I insert a sst ball bearing. It makes a great one knocker, because the AZEK is so hard it doesn't absorb the sound.
I don't see why you couldn't do the same thing, only leave out the ball bearing, to seal in floatation chambers in the AZEK, and make it more bottom heavy and buoyant.
Just a thought.

#5 JBlaze

Advanced Member

• TU Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 736 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 07:04 PM

Mark, I think that is a good idea. Depending on the size of the bait, he could probably drill several of these holes in the top half of the lure which would make it much more bouyant.