FishingBuds

Best Stik bait kit?

Hey guys, I started off last year about this time on gathering info here TuG on making my own rods, and first of the year I completed my first one and haven't looked back since. Now I'm looking into soft baits again.

I was was wondering what your thoughts was on some soft bait starter kits? Who has the best set up and quality for a beginner.

I want to start off with Stik Baits, I throw them all the time. I looked at Del-Mart Molds :: Worm Making Kits :: Stik Kits and

5.25 Stik Bait Kit [sTW525KIT] - $185.00 : Bears Baits, Soft Plastic Pouring Supplies as a start.

What would be better hand poured or injection for a beginner? These after all will be stik baits? I also want to beable to make them chartail at times too.

Thanks again:yay:

Hey guys, I started off last year about this time on gathering info here TuG on making my own rods, and first of the year I completed my first one and haven't looked back since. Now I'm looking into soft baits again.

I was was wondering what your thoughts was on some soft bait starter kits? Who has the best set up and quality for a beginner.

I want to start off with Stik Baits, I throw them all the time. I looked at Del-Mart Molds :: Worm Making Kits :: Stik Kits and

5.25 Stik Bait Kit [sTW525KIT] - $185.00 : Bears Baits, Soft Plastic Pouring Supplies as a start.

What would be better hand poured or injection for a beginner? These after all will be stik baits? I also want to beable to make them chartail at times too.

Thanks again:yay:

I would go for bears kit. Injection is MUCH easier then hand pouring.

Again, if you want to make a chartreuse tip on your baits, I think you will find it more difficult to do that with a hand injection system.

Consider a pot system for making sticks as this is a very efficient way to crank them out. You could nuke the chartreuse or cook it in a seperate cup.

I played with hand injectors and a small pressure injector a few years back. With the injection molds, you can make some great baits but tips will be tough, if not impossible. Also, if you are considering laminates (2 color sticks) at any time, the multi-cavity hand injection molds will not reliably make those. It is not an efficient process with a hand pour mold either but can be accomplished easily with little practice.

A single mold will limit the numbers you can do though so you might just want to start with a pyrex cup and mic or burner and pan system and consider a pot later. You will need some way to heat your plastic with the hand injection system so the pyrex/mic or burner/cup will have to be purchased anyway.

Another consideration will be cost as one system is $70 more than the other listed.

Good luck in your choices!!!!

Jim

Bear posted a stick kit for his injection molds. Now tips are not impossible with this process but it is time consuming. Personally I love the injection stuff. It is way to productive and easy. You can pour/inject perfect baits everytime. Bears molds are worth their weight in gold and customer service is better than you will find. :yay: You will not be disappointed if you choose to go this route.

I have to respectfully disagree with Jim on this one. Especially with respect to this being a stick mold. I cant think of a single thing that you can do with hand pouring that I cant do with injection better and faster when it comes to the stick mold.

As for different colored tips being hard or impossible, not so. Its the exact opposite. They are simple. You insert the different colored tips you want into the molds and inject as you would normally. The small amount of pressure applied from your hand sitting on the top of the knob for a second after injection will eliminate any potential cold cracks that you would have gotten had you attempted to hand pour this way. It dont get any simpler than that. As long as you cut your tip uniformly, the baits will all be perfect. And as for speed, them molds are just flat fast! You want laminants you will have to do exactly what Jim said and open the mold, pour one side, let set up and then inject. Thats going to be a bit more time consuming. No more time consuming than hand pours. As to which one is right for you, only you can make that choice. Oh yeah guess what the multi cavity injection stick mold hand pours also!:eek: What a deal!

heres a link to another members injections who did different color tips. Didnt think it would be appropriate for me to copy his picture and post it here. http://bearsbaits.com/forum/index.php?action=mgallery;sa=item;id=259

Edited by MTfishingrods

A couple of corrections MT and Jim The 5 cavity stik bait mold laminates great using the 2 color injector. And it does it with consistency and does not create coold joints.Tips are far better in the injection molds for the simple reason they bond so much better than they do in hand pour molds. The only time the 2 color laminates do not work well is in the larger cavity molds like the 8" Stiks o10" Stiks r the Beast and Big Frogs and such. Having so much cavity space allows the plastic to mix more in those. Jim you do know your hand pours but you are laking in knowledge in what the injectors can and do produce. As far as the cost well I guess that depends on if you are wanting to make good baoits on about 99% of the ones you make or remelt them and try again. Other than the initial injector cost the injection molds per cavity are cheaper and faster than any of the 2 piece hand pour molds. I am aware that you are a die hard hand pour guy but just to inform you of something, before deturing everyone from our methods maybe you should actually try them and see the results for your self before turning everyone away from our products. I do not think it is fair for you to keep steering people away from our products when you have never even tried them.......You may be an expert at hand pour stuff but you are lacking a lot of knowledge in what we offer.

file.php?n=5584&w=l

As long as you cut your tip uniformly, the baits will all be perfect.

Why would you open the molds and cut the tips? Just pour a color then pour the other. Simple and efficient. I guess if you are doing it that way, tips are possible. I do mine by pouring the tip color and then pouring the other color. No mold to open and close. If you are opening and closing molds, cuttin plastic etc. then hand pouring tipped baits would be far faster. In addition, you do not get cold cracks.

Sorry if anyone thought I was steering anyone away from a product or manufacturer. Some like the hand injection, some like hand pouring. We each have talked about benefits and I actually spoke about some draw backs about hand pouring as well. To each his own. I never hear any drawbacks mentioned about the hand injection systems but there are drawbacks to all systems.

No reason for Bear to attack me by name on this forum or to claim that I continue to steer people away from his products. I do not attack him by name ever as there are other companies that currently offer, and have offered, hand injection processes far before these that we are seeing.

I am talking about the processes, not about the particular companies.

Jim

Edited by ghostbaits

Jim 1st off I did not attack anyone. You were stating things that were not true. I was just trying to let others know that the things you mentioned were incorrect.I apologize if you feel it was an attack. But if you look at the last few post here you have detoured others from trying hand injection regardless who makes them. We make good products that work, and before we showed up yes there was other company's but I did not see any of the other company's mentioned just ours.

There is pros and cons in every method and there is no magic in this hobby or business. But for the average user our method is efficient.

I did not mean to come off as attacking anyone Jim or MT and I will apologize if it seemed that way. You and MT were stating facts that were a little misleading. I do not detour anyone from any method they chose to use. You are a master at what you do but how many out there do what you do? Not a whole lot and that is what has built your business. We like the route we have chosen and that is what we will pursue and try to educate people on.

Again Sorry if you felt it was an attack on you personally. :worship:

I did not see any of the other company's mentioned just ours.

Bear....Re-read my posts and you will see that I never mentioned anyone's company. Others did! As a matter of fact, instead of plugging away at just one particular technique, I offered up hand pouring, injection and presto pots as all viable options.

I have ordered products from your company in the past and am heading over to order the hand injection set-up so I can speak knowledgably on this particular system mentioned.

I did speak of the injection process in another post not being suitable for swim baits such as the Baby e type baits or hollow belly baits. I'll stand by that.

Jim

FishingBuds,

I like the injection stick molds. I have tried and own both styles. If you find injection is not for you, the resale value of them is pretty good for injection molds and the injector that comes with that kit.

Romeo D

Thanks, I have not seen a video on the injection type, so I'm not familiar at all with terms yet. I was thinking about the ease of use-this is what I'm intrested in. I have asthma and will have to be very careful around the plastic fumes.

I think I'd be intrested in a system that I won't have to work so close to my face and open pouring will be a concern for me, I turned it down last time as I found out more, but Im considering it again and now I've learned about the injection style now. Is wearing a mask while hand pouring affective? Does injection give me a benefit over this?

I'm the type that does alot of homework on something before I dive in, so it lets me have the best system up front with a reasonable cost. I usually play this way, I really don't go cheap just to see if I like something, cause by then I know if I want to do it or not.

My plans are to make a great stik bait and a system that allows me to try differant things with the stik bait. I know me and I'll do all I can with it before I move on to another style.

With all this said I still have to deal with my fear of the fumes do to my asthma.

Thanks, I have not seen a video on the injection type, so I'm not familiar at all with terms yet. I was thinking about the ease of use-this is what I'm intrested in. I have asthma and will have to be very careful around the plastic fumes.

I think I'd be intrested in a system that I won't have to work so close to my face and open pouring will be a concern for me, I turned it down last time as I found out more, but Im considering it again and now I've learned about the injection style now. Is wearing a mask while hand pouring affective? Does injection give me a benefit over this?

I'm the type that does alot of homework on something before I dive in, so it lets me have the best system up front with a reasonable cost. I usually play this way, I really don't go cheap just to see if I like something, cause by then I know if I want to do it or not.

My plans are to make a great stik bait and a system that allows me to try differant things with the stik bait. I know me and I'll do all I can with it before I move on to another style.

With all this said I still have to deal with my fear of the fumes do to my asthma.

If you are concerned about fumes, then go with the hand injection, definitely! I have all three..........hand pour, hand injection and asthma:yay:

There are some injection videos on Bear's site. I have done both hand pouring and injection and I think each have their place. If fumes is a major concern for you then I would look hard at the injection. Yoy can fill your injector with plastic and you won't have fumes except for the pyrex/pot that is holding your plastic, but you can put that well away from where you are pouring, Whereas, hand pouring would involve you being next to the open plastic the entire time. A respirator should be a must for you if you are that concerned. Saint.

I played with hand injectors and a small pressure injector a few years back. With the injection molds, you can make some great baits but tips will be tough, if not impossible. Also, if you are considering laminates (2 color sticks) at any time, the multi-cavity hand injection molds will not reliably make those. It is not an efficient process with a hand pour mold either but can be accomplished easily with little practice.

A single mold will limit the numbers you can do though so you might just want to start with a pyrex cup and mic or burner and pan system and consider a pot later. You will need some way to heat your plastic with the hand injection system so the pyrex/mic or burner/cup will have to be purchased anyway.

Another consideration will be cost as one system is $70 more than the other listed.

Good luck in your choices!!!!

Jim

THanks , I have been reading up on the other subject thats going on right now here and have read what you and Delw are talking about, tip explosion from injecters doesn't sound to pretty, intresting stuff.

Like i said all I want to do is Stik baits and what would be a best system for me..

Hey fishingbuds I use an injector for awhile now never have I had anytrouble with it my daughter helps me pour at times. She has started using the injector for some small projects for me. She wears all the gloves and eyewear just for the freak accident. She wears the same stuff using the pouring pots. I would not let my daughter use the injector if their wasn't minamual danger.

Bear does have a hand pour stik molds that you can use for making stiks works really good I have two of them and planning to get more. Then if you want to use a injector they will work with it just as good as the injection molds.

Hey fishingbuds I use an injector for awhile now never have I had anytrouble with it my daughter helps me pour at times. She has started using the injector for some small projects for me. She wears all the gloves and eyewear just for the freak accident. She wears the same stuff using the pouring pots. I would not let my daughter use the injector if their wasn't minamual danger.

Bear does have a hand pour stik molds that you can use for making stiks works really good I have two of them and planning to get more. Then if you want to use a injector they will work with it just as good as the injection molds.

Thanks, I finally finished and I'm updated at this point on the other topics going on for the Injecter system. Seems I popped up at the right time for this:lol:

I'm convinced that the worry of blow by is just as much as a worry if you are pouring plastic, both sides can have a freak accident.

I'm gonna try and lay low cause I'm not getting good leads except from a few of ya guys with simple straight answere's.:yawn:

Thanks again and I guess I'd have to join bears site to watch videos of his system? I have yet to find them on there.