spidergrub6

Your top topwater colors

Hey Guys, it's been a while since I've been on here,didn't have a chance to do any bait building over the summer. I was just wondering if any of you bass fishermen ou there could give me some tips on the best colors for Zara Spooks, poppers, and prop baits. As a school project a couple of friends and I are going to be starting our own topwater company to try and raise money for the school. Kind of a fund raiser except actually selling something useful:) I'm planning on staring out with four color patterns for each model. Any help you guys can provide would greatly appreciated:yay:

@ spidergrub6

I am a fan of the theory , that a surface lure in a pure black color provides the best visibility for the fish from down below against the bright sky , also against a moonlight night sky .

For the angler to be also able to easily locate the lure , I like to paint the head portion in a bright fluo orange or yellow color .

Sometimes I also like spray on a scale pattern on the flanks and a matching solid color on the back , still leave the belly black , .......but this is only to please the anglers eyes .

But with imitating the color patterns of the natural forage of your target fish you should never go wrong as well , I guess;) .

good luck , diemai:yay:

For smallies, spoopa's recommendation of pearl/chartreuse back is a good one. I don't where "Up North" is but most topwaters have a white or silver belly, which is mostly what the bass get to see. Foiled sides with neon yellow, green and blue accents are also good. I think it's mostly about catching fishermen. Take a look at some of the more popular models like Yellow Magic, Iovino Splash-its, Pop-R Zell Pop, Lucky Craft Sammy, etc and you'll get ideas that you can adapt to your line. IMO, don't even think of marketing them without feathered rear trebles on the poppers and walking baits.

JMHO, since the target is fund raising for a school, don't just target fisherman. Go for all the mum and dads and anyone who wants something cool and different OR buying just to support the school. Paint them pencils in school colors, put the school logo on them, paint them pink and add ribbons..... Offer to custom it with personalize name, message etc. This should give you a bigger potential customers.

Oh, You can even offer key-ring versions and save on weighting and adding hook to them :whistle:

Thanks for the ideas guys. It seems to me that pretty much all topwaters are a pearl belly with whatever pattern over the top. But since I am selling these baits I am trying to catch the fisherman rather than the fish. And we all know that they are waaay pickier than the fish;). I am thinking about doing the sexy shad pattern since it's in vogue right now and also maybe baby bass or some other natural patterns.

Lapala, you bring up some really good ideas on targeting a larger market place but since my school is actually an outdoor project oriented charter school the baits fit in pretty well with a lot of what we do and I've gained full backing from my teacher. What do you guys think of firetiger or table rock shad for something a little brighter? I'm just trying to hit as many bases as I can in only four patterns.

LOL no one ever said anything about your pine propbaits.........even anything about homemade lures........and some resins are clear.:P

If you're painting clear plastic bodies, a light black misting on the back, and then a shot of Wasco irridescent violet over the back and sides, makes for a great top water finish. Also works for jerkbaits and cranks.

You can follow up with a brush on glitter nail polish ($.99 NYC polish) to add some sparkle, and the put a clear coat over all that.

KISS (keep it simple, stupid) is a really good axiom for any reaction baits, like topwaters.

Flash and action are they keys.

The two part, attractor and strike trigger, equation, which is so important with bottom soft plastics, is less of a problem with a reaction lure, since the action causes the fish to strike without "thinking".

The action catches the fish, the paint job catches the fishermen.