Frchkn

Devcon yellowing..?

Remember, all Devcon epoxies are glues, with no UV inhibiters, so they will all yellow in time. You sometimes find the epoxy is already yellow while it's still in the unmixed tubes, because it's old.

Look for epoxies that have UV inhibiters. The only ones I've found are decoupage epoxies, like Etex or Nu Lustre 55, but you have to be sure to get the UV inhibiters, even with them.

Remember, all Devcon epoxies are glues, with no UV inhibiters, so they will all yellow in time. You sometimes find the epoxy is already yellow while it's still in the unmixed tubes, because it's old.

Look for epoxies that have UV inhibiters. The only ones I've found are decoupage epoxies, like Etex or Nu Lustre 55, but you have to be sure to get the UV inhibiters, even with them.

What about the stuff you use Mark? does it yellow or do you ad uv additives? where could I get these uv additives as well?

I use SC 9000, a water borne, water cured urethane, which had UV inhibiters, but I only use it on hard lure bodies, like plastic cranks, or the PVC lures I make.

For softer wood lures, I would stick with an epoxy, like Etex or Nu Lustre 55.

You can google both of them and visit their websites to get more info. about them.

I use SC 9000, a water borne, water cured urethane, which had UV inhibiters, but I only use it on hard lure bodies, like plastic cranks, or the PVC lures I make.

For softer wood lures, I would stick with an epoxy, like Etex or Nu Lustre 55.

You can google both of them and visit their websites to get more info. about them.

'' Thank you, I only do repaints.. So I think I mite take a look at the SC 9000..

I have lures that are more than 5 years old with no visibile yellowing of the Devcon. However, I also have a couple that are about this same age with some visible yellowing along the belly of the lure where you can see it against the white paint. I have yet to see a lure so yellow that it distracted from the original quality of the paint job. Devcon is a good coating, don't be afraid to use it.

RM

Edited by RiverMan

I have lures that are more than 5 years old with no visibile yellowing of the Devcon. However, I also have a couple that are about this same age with some visible yellowing along the belly of the lure where you can see it against the white paint. I have yet to see a lure so yellow that it distracted from the original quality of the paint job. Devcon is a good coating, don't be afraid to use it.

RM

Thank you, You re-installed my confidents. I will give this stuff a shot.

Mark,you care to share where you get your sc9000,and do you spray it with your airbrush directly over the createx....Rob

I dont think you can spray this product through your airbrush, i talked to customer service about it and they told me that you can spray this through and airgun though. Dipping it seems to give great results so ill stick with dipping it for now.

Goodluck, Jacob

I dont think you can spray this product through your airbrush, i talked to customer service about it and they told me that you can spray this through and airgun though. Dipping it seems to give great results so ill stick with dipping it for now.

Goodluck, Jacob

I tried the sc9000 from target coatings on some plastic bodied lures. I could not get the finish to fully cure. I dipped each lure and made sure that it dried at least 3 hours between coatings.....then I let it cure for a full week. I could still dig my finger nail into the clear. The finish would come off the lure when fished with. What am I doing wrong?

Edited by mercury97

@ Mercury

I have noticed that this clear coat isnt very strong, its very flexible but not very hard like epoxy. I use the Superclear mainly for all of the lures i do, it works very well on clear coating metal spoons also. The soft plastic lures will be very hard to clear coat with anything because the plastic is flexible underneath the lure clear coat so the clear coat will have no strength.

Jacob

It turns yellow...

Its great if you just want to clear a bait on monday and go fishing on weds... but if you want it to last and stay clear over time... dont use epoxy to clear coat you baits... unless you dont mind the yellow tint! Some guys like it!

The Rookie

Actually there is very little yellowing associated with the Devcon. In 2004 through 2006 or so I did literally hundreds of baits with Devcon and I periodically see them for sale on Ebay and they look just like the day I finished them. I have only seen yellowing on a couple of lures and it was very minor. I am sure there are guys on this board that have done hundreds of not thousands of lures with Devcon without a hitch. It is a very strong and durable clearcoat. Tonight I will try to remember to upload a couple pictures of lures I did five or more years ago with Devcon so that others can see just how clear it is after many years of use.

RM

Edited by RiverMan

Actually there is very little yellowing associated with the Devcon. In 2004 through 2006 or so I did literally hundreds of baits with Devcon and I periodically see them for sale on Ebay and they look just like the day I finished them. I have only seen yellowing on a couple of lures and it was very minor. I am sure there are guys on this board that have done hundreds of not thousands of lures with Devcon without a hitch. It is a very strong and durable clearcoat. Tonight I will try to remember to upload a couple pictures of lures I did five or more years ago with Devcon so that others can see just how clear it is after many years of use.

RM

I would love to see those pics if it is not to much of a hassle for you.

Ok...........this is one of the earliest gliders I built and at that time I only used Devcon. This lure was built in 2004. As you can see, the clearcoat on this lure is still very clear and it has been fished alot!

jed

Nice, that does look pretty good for being so old. I RARELEY ever have a lure that long.. I lose it somehow someway.