drof99

Tubes made EASY!

I just got a new tube mold today and couldn't wait to give it a try. I got this one from Bearsbaits. The ones I made are a 4" tube. The top 1/2" is solid. Mold poured very easy. I even dipped the body on some of them. The part that I really is that you don't have to cut the tails. I love fishing tubes but didn't care for cutting tails. I'm looking forward to coming up with some more colors for these. What do you guys like to fish for colors on tubes? Let me know what you guys think. Thanks.

IMG_1294.jpg

IMG_1294.jpg

IMG_1294.jpg

IMG_1294.jpg

IMG_1294.jpg

IMG_1294.jpg

IMG_1294.jpg

IMG_1294.jpg

4731_thumb.attach

Thanks bojon. I've never made tubes by dipping but these take pretty much no time at all to make with the injector. Very fast and demolding is just as easy. I was just messing around and dipped the head on the black while it was still on the mandrel before demolding. You can change the head size of the tube from almost nothing to a complete solid body tube. There are a bunch of different setups to make them just how you want.

The only thing holding me off is the price for a 1 cavity mold.

i dont own this mold yet, but that was what i though at first, then i started to think, I dont have to bother cutting the tails (inject, demold and toss in bag) so theres additional equipment i dont have to make or buy, and an extra process i dont have to worry about. the existing tube molds i have heard can be finicky pouring them, these are injected and take seconds to fill. being a single cavity, they also take less time to set up, big multi cavity molds heat up fast and hot, and can take a couple min to set. once i factored in all that i decided they were worth the additional expense.

Dipping is dirt cheap to do though. Cutter is cheap as well.

I'm like you though, I'd rather be one and done.

If you have a lot of tubes to make though, you are looking at lots of molds and money. Then, you still have to have the dipping setup anyway.

For production, Bojon's methos is tough to beat BUT I haven't used this systems yet so who knows.

I do know it looks GOOD and the results are money!!!!!!

Jim

PS Now, about a bag of some green pumpkin/chartreuse tails being sold to a guy name JIm???!!! :whistle:

whats it going to cost to set up for dipping? at least one hot pot, stirring set up, then you have to make or have the rod rack made. dipping can get quite costly as well.

i have been looking at tubes and wanting to get into them, this makes it that much easier as i dont have to add anything but the molds to my set up.

Come on now... Dipping set-up might cost but just for 10 molds (for a bag of 10 baits) you are looking at $800 + you still need the hot pot for plastic and the injectors. Maybe $1000 to get rolling. That is a LOT of tubes going out at $4.00 a bag.

Remember, this cost would be for one tube size also. If you want another tube size, you have another $800 to invest. Dipping would not have that investment.

The ease of the system would be the big draw for me but the cost is much more.

Jim

Edited by ghostbaits
additional info

665.00 actually Jim, buy 5 molds, 5 mandrels, 5 nose inserts, shoot 5, let them set for what, a min, then remove mandrels with finished tubes, insert fresh mandrel and fire 5 more. no need to have 10 molds, thats the understanding i have. its seems justifiable as it eliminates the second process of cutting the tails, which seems like it would be a pain even with a cutter block on a press.

what do you need different sized tubes for???????? they make them in different sizes other than 4" :lol:

Edited by 96dak

being a single cavity, they also take less time to set up, big multi cavity molds heat up fast and hot, and can take a couple min to set..

Not true, , a 5 cavity stik molds holds more plastic than a 1 cavity tube mold, matter of fact it will hold more plastic than a 7 cavity tube mold. not to mention with larger more cavity molds you have more surface area to disapate the heat with.

and being there are tons of multicavity molds out there I dont think there is a problem with heat for the most part.

you can throw in other factors like what you say about injection it is so much faster than pouring, well that doesnt give the mold time to cool off as much as a 5 cavity hand poured senko mold does.

its pretty much the old addage that a heavy barrle gun doesnt heat up as fast or a much, however it actually holds heat more as the barrle is thicker then a smaller barrel.

this was one reason they started fluteing barrels to give the heavy barrels more surface are to cool faster, and also they found out it help strength the barrle.

Nice try though it sounded pretty good ;)

Delw

Thanks for all the replies guys! I have no idea how I went from "what color tubes do you guys like to fish" to fluted gun barrels! Little strange. :? So......what color tubes do you guys like to fish? Do you have a favorite scent to use on them? Thanks in advance for the help.

Of course I need to comment.After making thousands,upon thousands of tubes over the past twenty some years,and spending a major amount of time,and money trying to make a mold with the tail filiments attatched.I gave up and went with dipping.I never gave the injector a thought.The mold shown here is a breakthru of sorts.There is no way it would come close to dipping as far as ecomomy.Dipping tubes,then cutting the tails is the only real way for most of the people on this forum.Unless a person is going to make ten thousand a day the cost would be major,and then it would be wise to go to a injection machine like the big companies do.I doubt this is a investment the people on this forum want to make.

I like horizontal dipping,because it is so cheap,and fast.Also your options of sizes and color combinations are unlimited.I prefer mostly two colored tubes for my own use,and the locals also prefer them,only because the bass dictates the color preference.It is simple to have a darker colored back,over the lighter colored main body.This is next to impossiable with a mold unless I'm missing something.In a days dipping I can be found dipping as many as a half dozen sizes,1/16 inch inside diameter(for trout)to 3/4 inside dia for large bass,and laketrout,And a good deal of the tubes will be of at least one or two colors each.Hard to match with a single hand held mold.

When it comes to getting a set up for dipping tubes I find it downright cheap.For the price of a single mold a person could make a whole bunch of rods.If you can find 1/4 inch dia electical wire scraps from a constuction site,and pay scrap price,you are in good shape.All you need to do is cut to length,and bend into a 90.

There are a lot of benifits to each,dipping and molding.It is a matter of how much you want to invest,in time,and money.:twocents:

Well, looks like these things work great. On my second cast with the new tubes I nailed this guy. 42" with no leader and a tiny lil bass net. 10lb line. Needless to say I was a little pleased.

They'll even work on some other species, if ya like catching these sort of things

The baits swim great! I'll be getting more of these for sure.

Edited by redg8r
images oversized - removed