justing

Question about fibetts

I need to buy some fibetts but am not sure what to get. I would like to paint them if possible once thier installed. The part I am not sure about is since they are synthetic and I use rattle cans first will the paint stick to the material? Second will rattle cans melt them? And lastly I realize its a hair type material and I have messed around with painting bucktail before and if you dont spray from some distance to get a really light coat all the hair kinda of mats together do you think this will be similar? I only ask this as I live in Alaska most of the year and am trying to get some baits done before I head south to fish for the winter. Getting stuff up here takes forever and I dont have that much time left to order and experiment like I normally do. Any help on the matter would be greatly appreciated.

Justin

Justin,

i use the fibetts all the time and they come in a lot of colors. what color are you looking for?

JS Fly Fishing: Rod Building Supplies, Fly Tying Materials

do a search on their site for fibetts. they are not cheap! $2.19 ea.

look at the baits on my site: www.johnscrankbait.com

the tail on my swimbaits is 1 fibett.

i add color with a small brush ,LIGHTLY! not much paint on the brush. acrylic paints. have not tried other types of paint.

good luck, john

Thanks John. I will try the brush method. I was hoping to only have to get a white color or clear if they have it and then make it what ever color I happen to need. Since I live in Alaska things take quite a bit longer to ship like 4-7 days even if you pay for overnight. I just thought if the color wasnt what I was hoping I could make it what I want so I doesn't take me a month to make a bait. Money isn't really a question when it comes to making baits. I've only made about 6 baits and already have a few hundred tied up in it. I know I am more picky than I need to be about little details on baits, but if I wasnt I could just buy them off the rack. Thanks again.

Justin