RiverMan

screw eye or wire for tow point

Jed, I use screw eyes for all my baits. Some of my baits are used for salt water fishing as well as bass fishing. All screw eyes are set with epoxy not only to give added strength, but also to seal the hole and not allow water to enter the wood body. I sometimes use ss screw eyes for the rear hook and belly hook,either .062 and .072 in 3/4" or1" depending on the size of the bait. I also be sure to use only brass screw eyes on the line tie, as it is easy to adjust them with not much pressure. If you are careful, you will not break the epoxy seal. Joe

That's what I wanted to hear, you are using Brass on the front so that it can be adjusted. Hmmm, well I don't have any brass eyes so might just have to use a wire on the front until I can get some. I know Chip and others like to use the wire but I find the wires and bill-making the least fun part of the whole plug-making process and would like to avoid them if possible.

Thanks alot.

Jed

Hey Riverman, Joe hit the nail on the head with the post above. You arent using a heavy twist on the screw eye to adjust it. So you dont have to force the screw eye from its epoxy bond. You are merely trying "ADJUST" the eye of the srew eye in the opposite direction of the lure running. I have adjusted a few lures and the screw eyes have stayed intact with no problems. Dont eat your Wheaties before adjust your lure. Sometimes its a small fraction of a move! Hope that helps Cody

Thanks Cody,

I have tuned a thousand plugs but most I have are made of plastic. In this case I simply turn the eye on the threads one way or the other and don't worry about it. With the cedar I am using tho I wonder just how many times the wood could take the turns before it begins to weaken.....not a good thing. It sounds like brass is the deal.

Jed

Just thought I would add my two sense here. I used to use screw eyes but I really learned something on In Fisherman TV last night. On a minnow plug if you want to increase the swimming action you can slightly close the tie-on with a pair of pliers then slightly bend it downward toward the lip. With a screw eye in place as a tie-on, tuning a lure in this fashion is impossible. I had about 6 lures that were created with screw eye tie ons that I had saved on my bench but I was very unpleased with their action. I removed the scew eyes and inserted a wire eye created like Chip taught me, bent it downward toward the lip and DAMN... those suckers REALLY WIGGLE now.

Thanks Chip.. Thanks Infisherman.. Ill never use a screw eye again.

It's interesting that you mention that Hoosier. I will keep this in mind for future baits. The other night I was testing some plugs in the bath-tub and experimenting with the tow-point location. Some of my minnow lures would go from not running at all to running perfectly by moving the tow point 1/4 of an inch!! The other thing I found was that the action of a balsa lure in the exact same form as cedar will have a completely different action, much more of a wiggle than a wobble. It also seemed to me (maybe it was just my imagination) that the balsa was much more easily tuned. I much preferred the action of the balsa for a minnow bait but do like the cedar for other reasons, primarily durability. The physics involved with crankbaits is quite amazing, much more than I ever realized goes into the design of a good lure.

Jed