Army Doc

scale detail

Here's a question for you guys. If I wanted to take a hard plastic bait with the scale pattern that's cut in and base coat it with one color, and then take the paint off the "top" of the scale pattern, what would be the best way to do it? I want to leave the base coat color in the scale lines, then paint the raised portion of the scale with a different color, or leave it clear so just the scale lines were painted. I tried using acetone on a linen rag to wipe the surface of the bait off, but it ended rather badly! Acetone and plastic do not mix well! I thought I learned my lesson when I tried to remove paint off a wiggle wart with acetone and ended up with a rather white bill and a rag stuck to the bait!!! BESIDES SANDING the top (which would totally defeat the purpose of the raised portion being clear, what else should I try???

Chris

It probably depends on the paint. I have tried this before myself with limited good results. With water based Acrylics you might find that you can work in smaller sections at a time spray it on and use a rag or firm sponge to immediately wipe off the excess, then repeat. Or you can try just rubbing on the paint with your finger and wipe off the excess paint. Neither was perfect but it was pretty good.

I was making a 'ghost' kind of pattern and after wiping on black scale lines I was spraying a thin layer of pearls and irridescents. Bottom line was that I didn't feel the bait was any more effective than a ghost of the same colors without the work. It did look cool but not worth the effort.

Keep us posted if you come up with an effective means of doing it.

i'm a little unsure what your goal is?

from my understanding, you want to take a bait with raised scales, paint over the scales in say black, then remove the paint from the elevated portions of the scales, so just the grooves or lines between the scales are still black?

why not just lightly sand the tops of the scales?

Would it be possible to spray from the front of the bait angleing back towards the tail so the back of the scales are protected from the paint? This is assuming it is an actual scale patern and not just a diamond like pattern. you would also have to heat your bait so your paint dries as it hits.:?

Unless the bait you are painting has very pronounced scales, it will be just about impossible to get the effect you are looking for. As an alternative, try using transparent paint instead. Or (and I haven't tried this, so I don't know if it will actually work), try painting one side of a piece of scale mesh and while it is still wet touch it to the lure to transfer the paint to the lure. It would require a very steady hand to keep the paint from smearing, but if you do it right it should give you nearly the same effect as what you are looking for.

Ok Im going to ask it.,. cause I know someone else has to be thinkin the same thing..

WHY?

In my opinion which means absolutely NOTHING!!! REMEMBER THAT IS THE KEY TO THE REST OF THIS POST!!!! here is how I would go about doing it.

You could make a stencil that fits perfectly in the grooves and block the old paint and shoot your new color...HAVE FUN making it! and I will :worship: to you if you actually do that! Personally I would dip it in paint and then before the paint dries... open up your mouth and stick out your tongue.. THEN GENTLE LICK YOUR BAIT! WALLA!!!! you done.. :nono: You could take the paint on your tongue and transfer it to a new bait and SAVE MOTHER EARTH at the same time... now that would be original artwork their! Only you could match it because of your tongue print!

Ok ok.. I had my fun.. hope it works out for you. I would go with the tongue trick first! Do a video of it and you might make it on 1,001 ways to die show on Spike TV. :teef:

If your offended by my advice.. Im sorry.. believe it or not.. Im actually considering the TONGUE trick myself! Not for the scale effect idea you came up with... but Im thinkin it could look cool on a bait! You could name the pattern the BIG LICK! With a motto of " Fish hard and carry a BIG LICK! :oooh:..... What's the last thing a REDNECK SAYS BEFORE HE DIES!!! HEY YALL LICK THIS!!!

The Rookie.

Ok Im going to ask it.,. cause I know someone else has to be thinkin the same thing..

WHY?

In my opinion which means absolutely NOTHING!!! REMEMBER THAT IS THE KEY TO THE REST OF THIS POST!!!! here is how I would go about doing it.

You could make a stencil that fits perfectly in the grooves and block the old paint and shoot your new color...HAVE FUN making it! and I will :worship: to you if you actually do that! Personally I would dip it in paint and then before the paint dries... open up your mouth and stick out your tongue.. THEN GENTLE LICK YOUR BAIT! WALLA!!!! you done.. :nono: You could take the paint on your tongue and transfer it to a new bait and SAVE MOTHER EARTH at the same time... now that would be original artwork their! Only you could match it because of your tongue print!

Ok ok.. I had my fun.. hope it works out for you. I would go with the tongue trick first! Do a video of it and you might make it on 1,001 ways to die show on Spike TV. :teef:

If your offended by my advice.. Im sorry.. believe it or not.. Im actually considering the TONGUE trick myself! Not for the scale effect idea you came up with... but Im thinkin it could look cool on a bait! You could name the pattern the BIG LICK! With a motto of " Fish hard and carry a BIG LICK! :oooh:..... What's the last thing a REDNECK SAYS BEFORE HE DIES!!! HEY YALL LICK THIS!!!

The Rookie. Man Rookie I hope your still talking about painting fishing lures, if not you logged in the wrong forum (LOL).Just kidding buddy.

Edited by jamie

OK, I got to tinkering with this idea again. I tried a couple of different choices.

First one I used a dark brown color and rubbed it on a naked lure and rubbed off the excess and it stayed in the cracks pretty well. I then coated the lure with a translucent irridescent paint like you would use on a ghost pattern. End result was the dark brown lines didn't stand out with the color contrast as well as I would like. So I tried one in reverse where I sprayed the same irridescent, heat set it for quite a bit, and then rubbed on a black. The problem is the black just doesn't wipe off the base color like it did with a naked lure so this was pretty much a bust.

I have a couple I have sprayed with two different translucent base colors, one chrome, one blue that I have heat set and I am going to top coat lightly with a clear acrylic and then I will try rubbing the black on top once again. Now I am a bit skeptical as each layer of paint fills the cracks so there is less definition to them. If it works out I'll post it, otherwise I'd skip the whole thought and just lay out your base color as your scaling and use mesh as suggested.

Or you can clear coat with automotive and try the licking method as suggested by Tater. Of course I think perhaps he was posting after a bit too much clear coating with out a mask. Tater, I need to laugh some more, let's go fishing again!! You promised to show me the stippers at night. Oh yeah you meant stripers not strippers. :o:lol::lol: