baitmaker2

Plastic Bait Suggestions???????

Santa came early and put into my possession several hundred OLD Bombers, Rebels and Normans crankbaits. Most are originals that were made in the 70's when the plastic crankbait craze began.

The majority are in need of a re-paint and I was wondering what is the best way to remove the old paint without damaging the plastic underneath? I know a lot of folks simply re-paint over the original paint but I don't want to add a thicker coat of paint and/or clearcoat than I have to. Thanks guys.

Edited by baitmaker2
add text

Use a pretty fine wet sandpaper. I use 400 for baits, doesn't remove too much but enough. Personally i'd just scuff them up and knock off any edges you might see and paint them. You have a higher probability of messing the action up by sanding off too much than by painting a little more on......it's easy to mess up the balance.

Either way, keep the sandpaper wet......it clogs up less and won't make dust.

Agree w/ Clamboni. I would sand them to scruff them up for priming and take things off like painted on eyes, etc.

I just got into painting cranks and at first I thought I would remove the paint from the lures I bought to start fresh. I NEVER found anything that would remove the paint without messing up the plastic underneath or taking more time than worth. I even tried R/C Nitro Fuel ... that stuff will remove just about anything.

I discovered the easiest and best method is just scruff the lure up, prime and turn your creativity loose ;)