MTfishingrods

Mattman, looking for some blank info.

Matt was wondering if you or anyone in your group sharing rod blank data has got their hands on the MHX custom rod blanks yet? I have a customer that it may fit a build for budget wise but thought you may have some unbiased info on these. Lots of people talking them up but they wont talk specifics. Its like they held one and liked it and jumped on the bandwagon but have never actually fished one. They are cheap enough I will eventually try some myself but just dont want to make that leap for a customer till I had the chance to abuse em myself. LOL

I totally understand.

And I agree...lots of people touting them...but no real feedback on them. Of course, we see that all the time. "As good or better than Loomis, at half the price"...even though they've never held a Loomis before much less fished one.

A couple of blanks have been measured up. Just this weekend as a matter of fact.

They were quite fast...in the upper 60

Thanks a bunch Matt. I thought you might have the info I was looking for. I think I will go ahead and price one out for my customer and let him know what I have found out about them and see if he wants to try it. I will also get a couple for me and see what my feelings are when in actual use. Just what i need a couple more rods lol.

I'm not Matt, but maybe I can help.

I've built on 6 MB844s, 2 MB843s, 2 L904s, 1 SJ 783, and 1 MB941.

I had some of the first ones before they were available to everyone. I had a problem with one blank - looked more like a longbow. Called, new blank arrived two days later. Can't complain there. Haven't had that problem with following shipments.

I've found the blanks so far to be very consistent within the given model (where I have done multiples). I've built on blanks that were straighter, but for the price it's acceptable.

I've found the blanks to very efficient using the rating method Matt uses. (Matt - like over 9). Finished MB844 comes in at 3.65oz, MB843 came in at 3.6 oz. Not bad. Don't have other weights in front of me. Think the SJ783 was in the 3.3 oz range finished, but I trimmed it a couple inches. The L904s were out of whack because I had carbon grips on them so weights ended up wierd.

Based on specs alone, you can't come much closer to the IMXs without it being them.

I have found the MB and SJ rods to be pretty fast actions but plenty of power and outstanding with fish on the line. I wasn't thrilled with the MB941, just seemed a little "noodlie" to me (if that's a word). The L904 is pretty stout and would make a great flipping rod. I'm not a fan of the finish as my thread slid on it trying to wrap it up, so drove me nuts.

The finish on the freshwater blanks is very uniform, does not come off with denat, and seems pretty tough. Nice matte sheen that matches everything.

Sensitivity wise, I haven't dialed in with them on feel techniques enough yet to fairly judge and give an honest opnion.

I believe they make a real nice custom rod, especially at the price point you can sell them for. Definitely opens up some options for us small time guys. They won't replace my main blank lines, but they have opened up some new clients for me already and let me offer a few more options with budgets in mind.

Give them a try - you'll be pleased.

Just thought I would toss in an update on these blanks. Both of you were correct. In fact I am surprisingly pleased for the price of these blanks. Like Cidgrad said they wont replace the main blanks but they have sure opened up some new options for a great price. I have a couple of spaces in my boat that will be occupied by these come spring.

I got in 2 MHX’s today that compare with a couple of Loomis models I use quite frequently.

First…the finish. Reminds me of the Shikari SHX. That was my very first thought. Probably my favorite finish and I’m glad to see it being used again. There were some little “nubs” in the finish. Not a ton of them, but a few more than I’d like.

Second…they aren’t the straightest blanks I’ve used. Certainly far from the worst. My biggest issue with the straightness is the fact that it varies. One section is slightly to one direction and another is in a different direction.

I have the MHX SJ781 and the SJ782. I build both competing Loomis models quite a bit so these seemed to be the best option for a direct comparison. And I built and still use both competing Shikari SHX models.

In comparing the 781’s…Action was basically identical. I had IMX’s both slightly faster and slightly slower. With an overall range of 3°. The MHX was lighter in weight. 0.145 ounces at the most and 0.085 ounces at the least. The IMX’s required more weight to deflect their tip. And the ratio of weight to deflect and weight of the blank slightly favored the IMX. Just barely. Easily within standard deviation for any given model from the same manufacturer so its pretty much a wash.

In comparing the 782’s…Action was identical between the IMX and MHX. Weight was pretty much identical as well. The MHX was 0.09 ounces lighter. Again, the IMX required more weight to deflect its tip. And the ratio favored the IMX by a little larger margin.

So, overall…pretty darn impressive for the dollar. Nice comparison to the Loomis IMX. Seems very competitive. I’d like to see the quality step up a level. Finish and straightness. But…that’s usually the first thing to get set aside when a price point needs to be hit.

I’m looking forward to measuring up more models to get an even better picture of how they stack up with other series. 2 models isn’t a good overall view.

Matt do you by chance know what the MHX make up is? IM6 graphite (44 million modulus) or higher, I can't find info on it anywhere and I was wondering. I'm considering one of these for a next build, going for a worm rod.

Also, I have mainly built all spinning rods and have over looked this Mag Bass series, can they be used as a spinning rods or is it for casting rods only??

Matt do you by chance know what the MHX make up is? IM6 graphite (44 million modulus) or higher, I can't find info on it anywhere and I was wondering.

No I don't. But for the blanks to give up similar measurement numbers to the IMX...they're a pretty high modulus blank with little or no glass scrim.

Also, I have mainly built all spinning rods and have over looked this Mag Bass series, can they be used as a spinning rods or is it for casting rods only??

The blank won't know you built it as a spinning rod.

Spinning blanks can be built into casting rods, casting blanks into spinning rods. Some great Crappie rods can be built from fly blanks. Light powered saltwater Popping blanks make great Walleye rig rods. As long as the blank has the characteristics you're looking for, build it the way you see fit.

Update:

I just got in a pair of MB843 MHX's.

They exhibited the same kind of inconsistency you would see in any blank from any manufacturer. One was 0.03 ounces heavier than the other. One was 1° faster than the other. The heavier one took a little more weight to load the tip. No more or less consistent than anything else I have multiple models of.

Overall, they were very close to the MB843 IMX. The IMX was a few degrees faster, 0.1+ ounces lighter. Not really a significant or meaningful difference. But a little more favorable to the IMX here than with the SJ models.