trick trout

my trout swimbait!!!!!!

my name is andrew and i am from la mesa, CA. i have been throwing swimbaits for about 3 years now and pretty much just fell into making my own swimbaits. i am only 14 so have only about 7 months of expierence in carving and painting my baits. i started making round baits about june of 03 and in about august decided to make life-like trout baits (or i like to call them life-like). about october i came up with this design and spent about 2 1/2 hours trying to carve it out of a dremel. from start to finish it to me about 4 days to complete it. all of my baits are hand carved. i have upgraded my equiptment to a scroll saw and a belt sander. i will be selling my baits in a store very soon i just finished the shapes last night (2/3/04). the store i will be putting them in is a great tackle shop and the baits will be reasonably priced at $35-$40. The store will be Lakeside Bait n' Tackle, in Lakeside, CA. I would appreciate any comments or suggestion (constructive criticism). Thanks for looking

P.S.: the baits that i am selling most likely will not have fins

p1010009.jpg

p1010009.jpg

p1010009.jpg

p1010009.jpg

p1010009.jpg

p1010009.jpg

p1010009.jpg

p1010009.jpg

390_thumb.attach

Trick trout,

Thanks for the compliments about my baits. To make the black marking on the Largemouth pattern I use a stencil. I use thick cardstock paper or a playing card from a deck of cards and cut out the shape with a pen knife. After that just apply stencil to the bait and spray. I really don't have any tricks just take your time cutting the stencil, because I believe your paintjob will only be as good as your stencil. Hope this helps. If you have any more questions feel free to ask.

Trick Trout,

I think you may have a promising career ahead of you...Your bait is great.

I don't want to sound like your parent here....but besure to keep up with your school work,and in college,major in marketing...that will help your business...I say this because I'm lurning marketing the hard way!!

How does your bait swim?...Nathan

thanks guys i appreciate all your compliments,

sebbass thanks for the info about the bass pattern i'll have to try that soon.

nathan, o yes definetly my making baits comes second to college hopes and high school right now so it leaves little time but i can manage to fit it in. and about the action it is made to swim on top and the bait can be moved very slowly.

thanks again guys

Can you give any specifics on the bait?

How much does it weigh?

How long is it?

What size are the hooks?

It looks good. B) My only concern is the action. The plastic tail seems a little small. Most swimbaits (with the large front torso) require a little bigger tail to make the back end kick in unison with the front.

hey woodsac,

the weight is 3 oz.

7 inches long

and i'm pretty sure that the hooks are 1/0

and about the tail being small.... that actual soft plastic tail does not have very much action but the second half of the bait swims in unisen with the front half very well... it has a different action compared to the m.s.slammer, the generic trout, and most of the topwater swimbaits