Erick

Painting metal baits?

Hey guys bought my first airbrush last night for painting blade baits. My question is this for my primer I had planned to use white paint. I bought the water based paint and when I sprayed my first coat on this morning when it was dry it peeled right off. Wondering if I need to scuff it up or possibly use oil based instead? Sorry for the simple question just trying to get on my feet with this project and plan to do cranks down the road once i get a feel for this and get some basic skills down. Thanks for the input an help in advance! ;)

I've painted blades with acrylics after sanding with 400 grit paper. I use Polytranspar Superhide White acrylic paint as a color basecoat and primer, and I heat set the acrylics with a hair dryer after I shoot them. They still must be topcoated for the paint to last, of course. Clearcoating with epoxy is possible but pretty messy and the epoxy thins out over any sharp edge. It also tends to yellow and adds lots of weight to a spinnerbait blade. So I like Dick Nite moisture cured polyurethane for this application. It is designed for coating spoons. It is thin (so doesn't add a lot of weight), tough, and dries to touch in a couple of hours (but cures really hard over several days). Simply dip the blades in once and hang them up to dry. Dick Nite seems to soak into and through acrylic paint to make a bond with the underlying metal. Works great. See the banner ad that appears often at the top of this page. Click on it and it will take you to a special area on the DN site that affords TUers a good discount, or even a small quantity to try free for the cost of shipping.