RayburnGuy

Material for scales

I realize this has been hashed over numerous times on numerous posts, but I'm still having trouble finding material to use for a scale mask. I've tried both sizes from Jann's and didn't like either of them. In my opinion, one is too small and the other too large. The smaller size mesh measures 1/32" and the larger mesh measures 1/8". I purchased a minnow dipper at WalMart and the hole size measured 1/16". This seemed to be the perfect size for the baits I'm painting. The problem is that you can only get a limited number of lures painted before the netting becomes brittle and tears. I have searched the internet until my eyes look like two fried eggs on a Georgia road map. Does anyone know of an online source to purchase 1/16" netting? Being disabled it's not easy for me to travel and that's why I'm looking for an online source. I found one place that had the size netting I was looking for, but they had a minimum order of 250 lbs. of netting. Can anyone help?

thanks guys,

Ben

I used a net sponge (not sure what you call them) from Wally-world.

$1 goes a long way. If you like it and have trouble finding them I will send you one.

Dan

I found the name - Nylon Mesh Sponge, they sell them at Walmart for .99 but I have only found one size.

The link shows a pic.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0024ORWRE

Swamp-Thing.jpg

Swamp-Thing.jpg

Swamp-Thing.jpg

Swamp-Thing.jpg

Swamp-Thing.jpg

Swamp-Thing.jpg

Swamp-Thing.jpg

Swamp-Thing.jpg

4752_thumb.attach

Edited by DanCampbell
More info

I used a net sponge (not sure what you call them) from Wally-world.

$1 goes a long way. If you like it and have trouble finding them I will send you one.

Dan

I found the name - Nylon Mesh Sponge, they sell them at Walmart for .99 but I have only found one size.

The link shows a pic.

Amazon.com: Bath & Shower Handheld Pouf Sponge - Nylon Mesh Exfoliating Poof - Color : Baby Blue: Health & Personal Care

It is called a Loofah:yay:

Rayburn you will eventually start looking at anything that has holes in it as a stencil to shoot through. Then you will start dumpster diving( thats the fist sign of the sickness). finding anything that has an unusual pattern to it. I remember years and years ago I was on a first date with this girl and we went to the steak house for dinner and the place was packed and we had to park on the back lot. While walking to the front door we walked past the dumpster and there was some sacks , cant remember if it was on onion sack or a garlic sack, but anyway it had a pattern to it that was unusual. She was shocked that I was dumpster diving on a first date but you know what that was a hell of a find and I painted some really nice baits with it. A few weeks later she was gone but the stencil was still there. :yay:

Jamie you've got it badddddddddddd!! :DI know what you mean though. I've done the same sort of thing. Although I did stop short of dumpster diving. :? My problem is that I'm not as mobile as I used to be. About the only time I leave the house anymore is for doctors visits. That's why I've been trying to find a source online. Thanks for all the help everyone. You can't imagine how much I appreciate all the help.

The netting is called "tule". That is the style with the smaller openings anyway. Tried to paint last night, first ime in over a year.....ugleeee.....didnt have a photo to guide me thru. The netting didnt lay flat against the lure side too. I had two pce's of wood attached to ends to weigh it. Might try that hoop method, maybe the wife has one laying around here somewhere...sshhhh...:whistle: