21xdc

Jigs/ spinnerbaits and lure turners.

I turn top waters/cranks/ etc... Looking for ways to hold jigs, jig heads, spinnerbaits w/o them comming loose and falling off the wheel. :mad: I put some dense 2 in pink foam onto a wheel and seemed to work OK for a while, But as it spins the hooks would loosen and move around and fall of. Heads were touching. :mad:

Have you guys figured a better/easier way to just stick a hook into a material as you paint/clear etc?

Thanks.

Take 1/2 inch board type insulation and cut it in circles. Make all the circles the same size. Then compress the circles together on a spindle. I have a plywood circle on each end to compress and hold the insulation circles. Use a nail through the spindle on each end of the circles up against the plywood, my spindle is made of galvanized electical conduit, to hold it all together. The little spaces between the insulation will hold the hooks snugly without any movement. I also push crankbait bills into the insulation. It works well when I want to spin them. My circles are approximately 18 inches in diameter and I can do a couple hundred jigs at one time if I carefully load them. I can probably spin 20-30 big cranks at one time. The only down side is I have to turn the motor off for a few seconds as I load, but no big deal. A buddy of mine built this and I inherited it. This is redneck engineering at its finest!

Steve (Amistad Tackle)

Use a pair of hemostats to hold the jig by the eye while coating and then put them in the crack, releasing the hemostat when it is it there. Or as an alternative hook each one on a pair of hemostats and stick the end of the hemostat in the crack. I do this on baits that don't have big bills, like jerkbaits. I've used this system down to a number 1 hook.

Anyone got a supplier for cheap hemostats? I need a few more.

Steve

Thanks again, But I'm doing 100 at a time. No need for 100 hemos. :lol: The eyelet is tight to my jigheads and looking for a better way to just stick the hook point into some kind of material that will hold good untill I want to pull them out. I may try plumbers pipe insulation. I used that for 20+ years as I let them drip dry. I'm not sure it will hold them sturdy enough for constant rotation. I don't think it will, especially the heavier head sizes.

Thanks again, But I'm doing 100 at a time. No need for 100 hemos. :lol: The eyelet is tight to my jigheads and looking for a better way to just stick the hook point into some kind of material that will hold good untill I want to pull them out. I may try plumbers pipe insulation. I used that for 20+ years as I let them drip dry. I'm not sure it will hold them sturdy enough for constant rotation. I don't think it will, especially the heavier head sizes.
What does your turner look like? I was thinking maybe you could glue down and modify wood cloth pins ( the kind with the wire springs). You can buy them by the bag fulls( and there cheap) ,you can have one pin for each jig head. I dont know if this a option I dont know what kind of wheel you have.It would be nice if you could make a rack of some sort to line up these pins when you need them and take them off when you dont need them.:twocents:

I found a way to do this. smile.gif

I took a 4 ft long piece of pvc pipe in 1 1/4 inch diameter with cap ends. Put a short carrage bolt on one cap to spin as the bearing side and heated up a square rod and pushed it through the other cap end for a square hole for the rotisserie side. Then I cut 3 inch pieces of 5/8 OD/1/2 in ID clear hose and put one screw in the middle of the hose into the pvc leaving two tag ends to except the dowels. Then I cut 3 inch pieces of poplar dowel and used a thin hand saw to cut a slot in one end about an inch deep. My hooks, spinnerbait wires or hooks fit tight into the dowel slotted ends. I can hold the dowel to paint, clear etc and just stick them into the hose end and it grabs them awesome. wink.gif

Sometimes it takes me a while, But I always can come up with something. smile.gif

BTW... You can use smaller hose to hold exacto knifes...

026.jpg

027.jpg

028.jpg

Edited by 21xdc

Powder paint anyone? Lot of effort for single colors and shakey heads.

Have turned airbrushed and flex coated spinnerbait heads by just cross clamping the hook in the heavy duty aligator slips on my turner. Then I went back to powder paint = less time painting = more lake time = :yay:. Even gave up dotting eyes and spots.

Owner hook in the spinnerbait? If so how do you like them? Have been on the Mustads since they came out with the UP's, but lately seem to be rolling points.

:eek:Owner hooks? You have awesome eyes! Yes, I love them and thats all I use in my SB. I tried powder paint and I hated it. I match my baits with color and flake, So powder paint do do what I like anyway. I know the fish don't care about flake/pepper etc, But I like to take pride in my baits and like throwing them more. :yay:

I just poured almost 100 tonight, painted and epoxied them... On the turner right now. :lol: Too bad I have 6 months of winter to use them. :angry:

Over time you may have a problem with the dowels slipping off the plastic tubes ( wear and tear). Maybe you could use some smaller pvc pipe just big enough for the dowel to slide in and use a set screw to hold the dowel in place. The smaller pipe could be the same length as the clear tubbing, centered with a screw to the main wheel and when you slide the dowel in place then tighten a set screw into the dowel. Just a thought.

Over time you may have a problem with the dowels slipping off the plastic tubes ( wear and tear). Maybe you could use some smaller pvc pipe just big enough for the dowel to slide in and use a set screw to hold the dowel in place. The smaller pipe could be the same length as the clear tubbing, centered with a screw to the main wheel and when you slide the dowel in place then tighten a set screw into the dowel. Just a thought.

I really doubt it. The hose grabs it real well on it's own, and the screw in the middle makes the hose pinch tight. If it ever did loose it's grab, For $5 I put new hose on. :)

The reason I did this is I like to be able to paint, clear, remove and replace the baits while are spinning with ease You could make the pvc longer or add more hose in between the other hose at 90* and put several hundred on at once.