spookman

Has anyone had any success with a duplicator on a midi lathe

Spookman,I also purchased a copier for my craftsman lathe.The instructions for use leave alot to be desired,but with alot of trial and error I figured it out.I have found the more I use it,the faster I become.I agree with you that it probably is faster to turm lures without it,but we loose in not turning out exact lures..Nathan

I have a vega duplicator attached to my mini Jet lathe. A good combo. Once you get used to it and make your templates well you can crank out plugs pretty quickly. Speed depends on the size of the plug and detail. Larger striper sized plugs I can do a blank (sanded ready for drilling) in 2-3 minutes. Thats starting from a 1 1/2 x 1 1/2 inch square.

Andrew

hi guys!!Im a machinist!!!so iuse lathe every day!but to do metal work!I work on a 40 000$$$lathe so it can do a lot of work and details!!Wood lathe are mostly work by hand!so the work is hand made!!!the tools are handle by hand and the advance to so very tought to do all lures the same!!!I work with + and - .002 but with some fine tools!!!I am not familiar with wood lathe but it must be tuff to do all lures the same!???Good luck.Dan

Ho!!And by the way guy's!!lathe are used to do perfectly round lures!!So those that are making other kind of lures(like me) forget that lathe thing!!!!realy not good for you!!!!Cheers.Dan

Not entirely true. Using off-center settings on the lathe, you can get a wide variety of shapes for plugs, not just round. I do a few that have a much more fishy shape to them, and they are not perfectly round at all.

Andrew

Dan,

Its just like anything else related to plug making, you have to have some knowledge about the tools you are using, wood, sealers, paints, etc. Off-centered stuff is certainly not something to try for your first plug, but once you are familar with the lathe and turning plugs, its not that hard. Just takes some playing with various off-set points and other stuff to figure out what you want from the plug. I have to admit, I did destroy a few trees learning the process!

Andrew

I have a Delta Midi and a vega Duplicator. I like both but unless you have many to do hand turning is really faster than using the duplicator. The secrete is a a good template and once you have it set up it will give you each and every lure exactly the same size. But once you break the set up down it must be realigned before the next batch.

John Lenox2k

I have a small Lathe and duplicator. Like most have said after some use it's easy as falling off a log. I have several templates and can go from one to the other in no time at all, just so minor adjustments. The thing I like is all the plugs are consistent in size and length. You can turn flat side baits also, just takes some experimentation on the size of blank you start with. I think you will be happy with the success, after putting your time in.

I've been using a Jet Midi Lathe now for about a year with a duplicator. After turning 800 lures, it's like driving a car, so much easier and faster than doing them by hand.

I use a Delta Midi with a Vega dupe - MUCH faster (and obviously more accurate)

A machinist friend made a carbide cutter for me that lasts longer than the HSS cutter that comes with.

I was making and selling some of my hand carved balsas earlier this year.Now I have gotten covered up with the custom painting when I am home and I just dont have time to fill orders for baits and paint.I have thought about the lathe process and I am wondering about the price for the lathe and duplicator.And where do you get them?