troutslick

Foam

I have been working on building soft plastic topwaters. Each is through wired with a foam cylinder around the wire for buoyancy. The diameter of foam is determined by the size of the topwater and the weight of trebles and wire. I am having a hard time finding the right foam. The foam I have experimented with seems to boil or bubble when I pour my plastic into the mold. I have even tried to preheat mold/wire/foam to 350 prior to pouring. Does anyone have suggestions for appropriate types of foam for this application.

Thanks

TR

Hmmmmm. Very interesting. I believe the problem you are having is because the foam is full of air. Maybe if you could seal the foam first with another material. trying to think of what you could use for that. What types of foam have you tried? Does the color of the foam matter? Maybe use something that you can dip the foam in, like a polyurathane or something. The engineers here can answer that better.

Trout... I have used fly foam with success before. I had a mold that had a hollwed out area and I put a punched out portion of foam into the area and then poured clear plastic over it.

I do not remember any bubbles at all. That type of foam is very dense and may even be saeled already with some sort of "skin".

Not sure it will meet your needs as it is in thin sheets. Might want to give it a look though...

Jim

sounds like....... something close to a corky how long of a strip orf foam is need I have some of my own idea that I have messed around with. Being from texas you know what a corky is look up the name rubberback on the net it is something close to what youare trying to do and by the way are you trying to make a lure like a zara spook give me a pm for anyhting else