WidowMaker

New Product Evaluation.

Gentlemen,

I am currently involved in the process of aquiring a nationwide distributorship of a new product called "The Jimmy Jug".

http://www.jimmyjug.com/

It is a modern version of the catfishing jug. It is compact in size and design which allows it to be stacked in an orderly manner into a plastic milk crate or laundry basket. The primary reasoning behind this of course to reduce storage space and eliminate the tangled messes of leaders/lines and hooks so often associated with jug fishing. (Please disregard the price of $6.00 per unit price as currently indicated on the website). The final retail price of this product will be $3.50 to $3.75 per unit item.

I am extending an invitation to all members of this board to offer comment on this product. Comments should be based upon function, practicality and the proposed retail price of said product.

I need to hear ALL OPINIONS GOOD AND BAD in order successfully market it. Thank you for your time and consideration. Sincerely, J. White.

Hello Paul,

Jug fishing is primarily a method used to catch catfish. This is done by tying a leader and hook onto a floating object such as a plastic milk jug, liter cola bottle or an empty motoroil bottle. The hook is then baited and thrown out of the boat and left to drift on its own until a fish takes it. Then you come back later and check the jugs. If one has a fish on it you chase it down and retrieve your fish. If it has a big fish on it then it get can get really interesting. Its an excellent way to stock your deep freeze.

I checked out the website and it looks real good.....we do a lot of jug fishing down here.

It will be a tough sell though, it is a lot cheaper to tie a piece of mono onto a milk jug....but with some savy marketing you can make it work I think.

I have a few ideas if you'd like to talk about them, shoot me an email and we can huddle and talk.

It looks like a neat idea but I have to agree with Marsh, it's going to be a tough sell to these good old boys down here. There's always a big risk you'll lose a jug. Don't think I've ever run jugs that I didn't lose from one to three of the things. I wish for the best in your adventure but my opion is that it'll be to expensive for most jug fishermen. Like Marsh said, a two liter drink bottle, a nickels worth of nylon line, a sparkplug or egg sinker, and a 50 cent hook is a lot cheaper.

Thanks for the honest input guys. You know a person in my position sure doesnt want to hear that it might be hard to sell. I asked for a straight forward answer and thats what i expected to get. You gave very good answers so i sincerely appreciate the time you took letting me know your thoughts. If anyone else has any comments i would still like to hear them.

The tool and die maker who came up with the idea for the product also owns the mold. There maybe a possibility i can go back to him and work on getting the price down a bit more.

I have done some jug fishing for cat in the TN river.

I used 1 qt. Gatorade bottles. I used reflective tape

around the fat part of the jug and a small bell inside.

They would lay on their side until a fish took them. Then they

would stand up and you could hear the bell rattling

around inside the jug. I did my jugging at night and

a shot of light across the jug would show up like

a diamond.

Coley

These jugs have an opening located in the top. They are normally covered with a colored cap to correspond with different types of baits or lengths of leaders. One thing that can be done is to push a twelve inch wooden dowell rod with a reflective tape "flag" into this opening. When you have a fish on you can use a spotlight and see it moving around from across the lake.

Another approach to jug fishing at nite is the jugs could be wired with a battery and a light inside. The battery could be used as a ballast to keep the jug top right. The light is off while at rest. When a fish takes the bait and the jug is pulled downward by the line tie, a ballbearing can be used as a switch that slides down a track to complete the circut.

Jug colors indicate types of baits on the line.

Sounds like something bass proshops might be interested in.

Thanks for the input. You guys are right there is a strong possibility that they can get lost and thats not good. Maybe instead of marketing them to sporting good stores i should focus more on agricultiral supply stores such as Southern States and Rural King. Companies which would be more likely to sell products for farm ponds and watershed lakes. Mail order suppliers of farm pond management goods such as aereator systems, aquatic weed control, catfish food and etc. Maybe this would be a better direction to go in.