chuknwind

How can I get a clean color contrast?H

Hi guys! I've been using my paasche vl on baits and now that I've used this forum for some time I notice the flaws in my past efforts. One thing that I want to change is the splatter effect I get when I lay on a color. the outside edges are very fuzzy if you will and kind of just have a small splatter look. I notice this most when I apply a back stripe to a bait and I just loose the contrast that I want. I realize that a fade is nice but when I look at one of Mr. Hughe's baits and the contrast he gets I just bite my lip and and wonder how the heck does this! ( I'm looking at one Mr. Hughes did for me now,,,,very nice!!!!!) Well, if this is not a complete enough description of my problem I would be happy to chat more . I do use the water based paints,,,some Walmart cheap stuff and some Createx but it seems I still get the same effect. Hope to hear from some of you guys,,,thanks.

You described it well. If I'm trying to get a somewhat defined line along the back sides, a not too hard, not to soft, but a distinctive color transition along the sides of the back, I cut out a stencil/ shield in the shape of the back and position it by hand an inch or so away from the back while spraying. Varying the distance will determine how "sharp" the edge will be. Hope this helps.

chuknwind,

You can try thinning your paint to help get rid of the splatter. Also, take apart your air brush and look at your tip under a magnifying glass to see what kind of shape the hole is in. Sometimes, you can get a split in the tip and never know it until you look for it. When you shoot your baits, for a more distinct line and less fade, hold your air brush close to the bait. When shooting the black stripe down the back. I hold my brush 1 inch or less. This should eliminate overspray and give you a sharp contrast and rich color.