Frchkn

Gel coats?

Anyone expirement in using gel coats on there baits? Like osmehitn maybe used for a boat? I bet it would make for a good clear. I have smacked the gelcoat on a boat pretty hard and it did nothing.. I think Norman lures uses a gel coat as well.. Seems to be decently strong.

Hard part is finding one that retains clarity. Bondo and the other common resins yellow badly (or have for me). Have used them to flake blades, but not as effectively as I expected. Might try one from a manufacturer...Ranger, Champion, etc. Let us know.

*Unless you are referring to solid color gels like white, yellow, etc. Guess I was assuming use as a clearcoat like Norman. My years long guess is Norman is just another 2 part epoxy of some sort, or maybe an auto clearcoat.

Edited by dtrs5kprs

Hard part is finding one that retains clarity. Bondo and the other common resins yellow badly (or have for me). Have used them to flake blades, but not as effectively as I expected. Might try one from a manufacturer...Ranger, Champion, etc. Let us know.

*Unless you are referring to solid color gels like white, yellow, etc. Guess I was assuming use as a clearcoat like Norman. My years long guess is Norman is just another 2 part epoxy of some sort, or maybe an auto clearcoat.

Ranger and Champion are the same thing.. Owned by the same company anyways, Thats is what I had in mind somehting of that nature.. And by Norman I ment Norman lures. They use a tough gel coat on there lures.

Right-o...should have read Norman's. Am typing challenged today.

The "sunshine gel-coat" is really one of the original tough glitter clear coats. Think we have all been looking at it for years. They have improved the UV stability of it in recent years. Have some of the older baits from the 90's that did not age well (but fish ok). If it not an auto coat then it would almost have to be a 2 part resin of some sort (epoxy, gel, etc).

My thought with an OEM resin was the idea of getting one that does not yellow. Might also try US Composites.

Personally, I have used Flex Coat (regular, not lite) since 2002. Very happy with it. Cheap, versatile, forgiving, and holds up as well as most of the others.

Right-o...should have read Norman's. Am typing challenged today.

The "sunshine gel-coat" is really one of the original tough glitter clear coats. Think we have all been looking at it for years. They have improved the UV stability of it in recent years. Have some of the older baits from the 90's that did not age well (but fish ok). If it not an auto coat then it would almost have to be a 2 part resin of some sort (epoxy, gel, etc).

My thought with an OEM resin was the idea of getting one that does not yellow. Might also try US Composites.

Personally, I have used Flex Coat (regular, not lite) since 2002. Very happy with it. Cheap, versatile, forgiving, and holds up as well as most of the others.

I am looking for somethng cheap, easy to get, Long lasting durable finish and uv resistant and does not yellow.. Flex coat you say?

Right. I'm probably the odd man out in the whole ETex vs Devcon vs whatever wars going back to the pre-TU days on the other site.

Decided to try Flex Coat and have been very happy with it. Lighter (so you can use multiple coats for specific effects-probably average 4 total on most of my baits), clear, mixes well with flake, levels well (designed to) when turned, durable enough, decent working time. Available in a variety of sizes, mixing syringes available. A few ml will do several baits.

It will get fine scratches from rocks, teeth, etc, but all the coats should if you are actually fishing and catching. The Lite formula does not have the same shine or clarity (at least for me).

Used to have a ton of pics in the hard bait gallery, but apparently they lost when the site changed a few years ago. Just re-posted a few the other day that were shot with C-tex and cleared with Flex Coat.

I get a bad feeling posting about clear coats...PTSD from the "wars". If you dare, search some of the old posts (2003 or so), my handle, Skeeter, Blackjack, some of the others that have been here a while. Lots of good info if you sort through the sniping. Some of those got pretty hot.

You are not alone with the flex coat type finishes. I like the way they work and am very used to them. As for gel coat I think it is just to rigid for my needs. I think it is a polyester based resin, and these resins seem to lend to fracturing when impacted.Ck out tapplastics.com there is some info there on gel coat.

Right. I'm probably the odd man out in the whole ETex vs Devcon vs whatever wars going back to the pre-TU days on the other site.

Decided to try Flex Coat and have been very happy with it. Lighter (so you can use multiple coats for specific effects-probably average 4 total on most of my baits), clear, mixes well with flake, levels well (designed to) when turned, durable enough, decent working time. Available in a variety of sizes, mixing syringes available. A few ml will do several baits.

It will get fine scratches from rocks, teeth, etc, but all the coats should if you are actually fishing and catching. The Lite formula does not have the same shine or clarity (at least for me).

Used to have a ton of pics in the hard bait gallery, but apparently they lost when the site changed a few years ago. Just re-posted a few the other day that were shot with C-tex and cleared with Flex Coat.

I get a bad feeling posting about clear coats...PTSD from the "wars". If you dare, search some of the old posts (2003 or so), my handle, Skeeter, Blackjack, some of the others that have been here a while. Lots of good info if you sort through the sniping. Some of those got pretty hot.

I had Flex Coat recommended to me on BassResource and I really like it. If you do get it, a good place to get it is Mudhole. Make sure you get the "Ultra V" not the old stuff. The non-Ultra V will yellow in a short time (as I found out when it turned yellow on one of my swimbaits :angry: ). Also, I recommend getting the Flex Coat syringes to ensure accurate measurement. Unequal measuring may do one of two things: it may turn yellow (I haven't had that happen yet) or it may not fully cure (been there done that :rolleyes: ).

Hope this helps.

Ben