bladesandbaits

Cracking Back Out and Micro Guides

After a 5 year hiatus (sp), I am cracking all my equipment and tools out and build a few Custom Rods. I was wondering about Micro Guides.

I am seeing a few rods being built using these guides with an In- line (coventional) application. The last experience i had with these guides was on a spiral guide placement application.

Soooo---- Anybody tried them in-line? I would think it would take several more guides than usual. MAybe even more than a spirail application.

Has anyone came up with any great advantages/disadvantages?

Your thoughts (pro's and con's) on this are appreciated.

Regards,

Blades

After a 5 year hiatus (sp), I am cracking all my equipment and tools out and build a few Custom Rods. I was wondering about Micro Guides.

I am seeing a few rods being built using these guides with an In- line (coventional) application. The last experience i had with these guides was on a spiral guide placement application.

Soooo---- Anybody tried them in-line? I would think it would take several more guides than usual. MAybe even more than a spirail application.

Has anyone came up with any great advantages/disadvantages?

Your thoughts (pro's and con's) on this are appreciated.

Regards,

Blades

i use them on spiral wraps and spinning setups. I don't see why you would need more guides for a conventional casting rod, i doubt you'd be able to keep the line off the blank anyway.

Primary advantages i've found is the cost vs. overall weight savings. Very inexpensive way to keep things light - without breaking the bank on something like recoils. I've not noticed any degradation in casting distance or ability either. Only thing to watch out for is passing knots... i use 3mm and i can't pass a 12lb uni-uni knot - which is fine for me, but some people use leaders so its a good question to ask.

The micro tips were a bit on the week side, but i see there are now some new braced tip-tops from Amtak and Fuji - i would go with those.

Not sure if I can post this link, so my apologies if it violates a rule - flog me later! :)

http://www.ultimatebass.com/-general-bass-fishing-links-275/1371-micro-guides-what-where-when.html

All I build is on top (in line) and have not built a rod since June of last year without micros. I have 100+ micro rods on the water from just this year with no breaks, no failures (well one totally user error - nothing to do with the guides), and many repeat clients.

I may use one more guide than "big" guides - just really depends on the blank.

Size 4s pass a uni just fine. I just had a guy from FL today say his micro rod with 50# braid, 20# fluoro leader performed flawless on redfish and the knot did just fine - size 4 Fujis. I wouldn't go smaller than a 4 with leader knots.

The new Fuji tips are appearing to do very well - model ID is BMCAT for the Alconites.

Edited by cidgrad
typo