ROWINGADUBAY

Seal-Coat

I have not tried it myself but several months ago I heard good reports about it from James at On the Line Crankbaits. He was testing it as a possible replacement for his current Top coat. I have spoken with him several times after that and every time I asked him if he still likes it and he said he did. If you decide to purchase you might consider getting the UV version for $12.95

I have used it with so-so results. I used a brush to apply it, but maybe dipping would give better results. In my experience, it ran, wasn't glossy and was brittle. In no way did it come close to the claim of being a "1 part epoxy". Epoxy is stronger, thicker, provides better protection for the lure, and in my opinion gives a better finish.

The fact is, there is no perfect lure topcoat. Either it is not very durable (the problem with the Seal-Coat) or it requires exact measurement of parts and mixing (the case with epoxy). Try several different topcoats and use the one that works best for you.

Ben

I did a post a while ago when a fellow was looking for a water based product. I've used it for more than a year and have had good success. I spray the product and usually spray 2 coats. Product drys in about 10 minutes, depending temperature and humidity. I also use a rotisserie motor rigged for a curing rack. I find I can spray a heavier coat without drips or sags. I'll let it cure for about 2 days before I package or use the lures. I get a high gloss finish without it being thick like epoxy, I like this when I paint a lure with a lot of detail. I also like the fact that a the product doesn't add the weight that epoxy does and doesn't affect the performance of the lure, it performes more like the original factory bait. I can mix in glitter but spraying has to be through a large tip. We've caught bass, bream, and stripers on the lures finished with the product and the finish has been durable. If the finish needs a little refreshing, I sand with 400 and spray another coat. If I want to repaint a lure to try a new paint pattern, I strip with alcohol and repaint, as long as the plastic can handle exposure to alcohol. I've also used the product to coat painted spinner bait bodies and the finish hs held up well, no complaints so far. Better prices can be realized by purchasing larger quantities from manufacturer. Hope this helps