Basschamp167

BIN brush on primer?

BIN is a tinted shellac primer. It should do OK as far as sealing wood so you don't raise the grain with water based paint. Several of the reviews I read also commented on its strong odor, which is a killer for me. Lures exuding a solvent smell can really stink up a tackle box. You don't say what other coatings you are going to use. If you put other solvent based coatings on top of it, you may or may not have a problem. The only way to be sure is to try it.

I don't see any reason to use it on top of Minwax. IMO, there's a lot of confusion about "primers". What is the function? To waterproof the wood? Keep grain from rising? Cover minor surface defects? Improve adhesion of paint? As a white color basecoat? Depends on who you ask.

JMHO, as long as I have a smooth waterproof surface on the wood before I start shooting color, I'm good to go. It can be epoxy, propionate, polyurethane, whatever. If a coat or 2 of Minwax does it, I don't need anything else. I certainly wouldn't use BIN just to get a white color basecoat. I can do that more quickly, more smoothly, and less smelly by shooting a coat of white acrylic paint. I'm not particularly worried about adhesion, which is the classic reason to use primers. If I topcoat the lure with Devcon, it will encapsulate and hold the paint scheme on the bait through a lot of abuse. If it's so abused that it fails, a coating of BIN under the acrylic paint won't make a bit of difference. Bottom line - I'd lose the BIN. Use it next time you're covering stains in the wallboard or repainting wood window trim. Like I said, JMHO.

Hey that cleared a lot of things up for me. The only real reason I thought I needed it was for paint adhesion. You are right, I should just ditch it. Most of the lures I make now I seal with 4 or 5 coats of polycrylic, but I think I'm going to make the switch to sanding sealer or propionate for muskie lures. The polycrylic just doesn't penetrate enough, IMHO. Thanks alot!