Them Muskie Lures

Thru Wire Question / Idea

I have looked over the site and have found some tutorials about thru wire construction and I am not sure if this has been tried or not, but wanted to see if it has. Has anyone cut a groove around the entire lure and placed the wire in the groove and epoxied it in? Where the ends meet, crimp a wire leader connector to both ends to secure it. I realize around the lip may be tricky, but I think I can figure something out. I really don't want to cut the lure in half and drilling a hole through 4-10" baits (at least for me) is tricky.

Any thoughts on this? Also, what is a good size diameter wire to use? I assume stainless steel?

Thanks for your feedback.

Greg

www.themmuskielures.com

Had a similar wild idea for thru wiring square bills several years ago. Wanted to use titanium wire (I guess b/c it was new). Hughesy was kind enough to point out the fact you can't tune titanium, so I never tried it.

Drew it up, looked like it should work. But that was using the connector inside the bait. Assume you are looking to wrap the wire around the outside? Seems like a muskie would knock the wire out of the channel...would need to bea n awfully deep groove.

You can thru wire without halving the bait. Several posts on here detailing that technique. The drilling goes ok if you use a press and go slowly.

I think a lot of builders do thru-wire in a slot, except they use one slot in the top or bottom, not all around. Top if the bait has the line tie on the nose, bottom if the line tie is on the lip surface. Many custom builders dispense with thru-wiring and epoxy .092" ss screw eyes in hardwood musky lures, with no failures reported. That also makes ballasting the bait and installing the belly hanger(s) easier. As far as wire diameter, it depends on the diameter you can accurately bend. .040", maybe .051" hard stainless in a stretch, is my limit using hand tools.

I know nothing about building baits out of wood, or any other material for that matter, so take this question with a grain of salt. Has anyone ever tried cutting a biscuit slot such as those used in woodworking joinery to attach wire hook hangers? It wouldn't have to necessarily be the same shape as those biscuits, but just a slug of wood that would fit into a slot cut into the bait that a hook hanger could be wrapped around or fastened to and then epoxied in. That would localize the hook hanger and do away with the thru wire making placement of ballast easier. The "biscuit" would provide a lot of surface area for the epoxy to grab onto as well. If this is a crazy idea I apologize. It's late, can't sleep, haven't eaten, my dog is mad at me and I don't have anything better to do than come up with crazy ideas. :teef:

RG

Edited by RayburnGuy
lost train of thought

I make a well known musky lure that I started making after someone else had made it for several years and stopped. He cut a groove in the bottom of the lure when he made his and filled with puddy or epoxy puddy. I started out doing that but just got annoyed with the mess and started making two halves instead and glueing them together. Both ways worked but I was more comfortable with the two halves but he was more comfortable with the groove. This lure is alot smaller than most musky lures so it may be easier to do in two halves than a longer one. Plus it is harder to cut a round bait in equal halves after you have turned the lure down on the lathe but the one I make is a flat sided crankbait so it isn't that hard. I just buy the balsa in 1/4" sheets and after I get the lure shape cut out I can glue them together eventually to get the 1/2" lure body. Sounds so much simpiler than when I am doing it. haha