Umbrella Rigs

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 yellowdawg

• TU Member
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Posted 03 November 2009 - 07:29 PM

any one got any ideas on how to build the arms for umbrella rigs with about a 1/2 of lead in the center. can't find anything on how to build them.wanting to make a small 9" arm version. thanks

Edited by yellowdawg, 03 November 2009 - 07:30 PM.

#2 BobP

Advanced Member

• TU Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,748 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 01:55 PM

I recently bought an umbrella rig for striper fishing and it has the weight (2-3 ounces) in the center of the rig with the arms molded into it. If you are comfortable melting lead, you can build a small wooden box as a mold, with holes drilled to fit in the umbrella arms. If you want one shaped to come through the water with minimum drag on the center weight, use Bondo as a mold and shape the lead form with a Dremel tool. I can't think of any other way of attaching the arms and lead weight together that's better than molding them together.

Edited by BobP, 07 November 2009 - 01:56 PM.

#3 gfpsr

• TU Member
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 08:17 PM

i use silicon molding rubber what jewlers use first the wire i find the center of the wire then make a u in the center that way your wires won't twist i use a arbor press the bottom of the square post dill out put in a roll pin makes a perfect u straight on both ends ------------------u--------------