Thad

Need Help Stabilizing A Flat Side.

I'm working on a flat side and the action is awesome, the problem is that when I reel it at any speed it blows out to one side or the other. The finished bait ends up being about 2 1/2 inches long and about 3/8 inches wide. It is constructed of balsa. The lip is 5/8 inches wide and about an inch long. I'm using 1/8 oz for ballast. What could I improve on to help with it blowing out when reeled faster?

Thanks

A pic would really help with finding a solution. It could be that the lip is too wide or too long. If it was a diver, could be the tow eye position. Post a pic and let members see the problem.

What Fishwhittler said too.

Dave

Here are a couple pics.

100_2205.jpg

100_2206.jpg

Edited by Thad

Your line tie may be too close to the nose of the bait. Line ties are generally put at 40-50% of the distance from the nose to the end of the lip. When you start moving it towards the nose, you get more "thump" but you reach a point where the bait becomes uncontrollable and blows out at lower and lower speeds. To correct it "as is", I'd try trimming the length of the lip a little at a time to see if you can get it under control. Since the lip is circuit board, you can do that on the water with metal snips or a battery operated Dremel sander.

I'd second to BobP ,..... the lip portion ahead of the line tie is too long , thus causing too much leverage by the oncoming water pressure on the lip around the line tie(pivot point of leverage) .

If after shaving the lip's length the lure won't wiggle anymore , but only dig down straight without a lot of action , you also need to taper the base portion of the lip(the part above the line tie) a bit , in a way that it would become somewhat narrower as the body width of the lure .

This also has to do with leverage around the line tie , caused by the water pressure ,.... if it is about equal below and on top of the tow eye , the lure won't wiggle well .

The leverage force needs to be higher below the line tie , thus causing the lure to break out to one side , the pull of the line and the belly ballast tracks the lure back and it breaks out to the other side , etc. , etc., ......the lure wobbles !

This is why the lip's plane above the line tie must be made smaller , achieved by the previously mentioned taper towards its base glued into the lurebody .

good luck , diemai :yay:

Your line tie may be too close to the nose of the bait. Line ties are generally put at 40-50% of the distance from the nose to the end of the lip. When you start moving it towards the nose, you get more "thump" but you reach a point where the bait becomes uncontrollable and blows out at lower and lower speeds. To correct it "as is", I'd try trimming the length of the lip a little at a time to see if you can get it under control. Since the lip is circuit board, you can do that on the water with metal snips or a battery operated Dremel sander.

Right on spot Bob