Shmang

Repainting A Lc Pointer

I picked up a new in the box Pointer 78 dirt cheap from a buddy and I was thinking of repainting it. It is a "green musky" color and I wanted to know if I could sand it down, repaint to a color of my choosing, then seal it with D2T. My only concern would be ruining the action.

I am not a fan of that color and wanted to go with a shad color to match my local hatch.

Any advise? Would I be a wise to leave well enough alone-- or go for it? Amyone ever try this and could offer some tips?

Thanks

Since it is a suspending jerkbait, I'd opt for a thinner topcoat like Dick Nite or another polyurethane instead of Devcon. But as far as painting a bait that you don't like the color of, you might as well do it. You won't fish it unless you have confidence the color will catch fish. That said, I'd probably give it a whirl in present condition to see what the fish say about it.

IMHO, even thinned D2T will alter the bait. I have done several and well they just weren't the same.

I have only done one since switching to using an Automotive 2 part clear and since it goes on so much thinner it did very little to the action and suspension, but the suspension was different. Not sure if it was water temp or line weight differences that may have also impacted the before and after.

For sure though, D2T will affect the bait.