21xdc

E-tex Light Or Devcon 2 Ton?

I have used both, But I have been using E-Tex for the last few years. I just tried D2T again tonight and the working time is way too short per mix. I have had plenty of time with the E-tex and they are both 30 min cure times.

Do I use laquer thinner to prolong the time? I just bought 4 big bottles and think I'm going back to E-Tex. :rolleyes:

I mixed for 2 min, I wonder if over mixing shortens the workingtime.

IMHO

if it was too hot in the room you night have a problem, high temperature makes the epoxy harden faster, 2 minutes of mixing it's ok

another way too look at the problem maybe you didn't measure correctly the mix ratio and you've put too much hardner (the yellow stuff)

Mike,

I have used both as well and I like D2T better. Lacquer thinner will extend it but not by much in my opinion. I can do about {8} 3/8 oz spinnerbaits max at one time. To me diluting the D2T weakens it JMO. But lots of guys do it. I also believe that D2T is harder than E-tex again JMO. BTW if you decide you really don't like the D2T PM me and we can talk about me possibly purchasing it from you. I'm a die hard D2T user.

Guys I don't want to start a debate here this is just my personal preferance.

Edited by cadman

I mix it for about a minute with a 1/2" wide plastic strip in a shallow dish. Others use a piece of wire, so "how long" and "with what", even "in what" are variable but important. My experience is that ETEX requires more thorough mixing and I think you can let up a little on the mix time with Devcon. I say that with reservation because the next thing you know, we'll have a rash of posts complaining about epoxy not curing hard! When it's cold in the garage, I fold in a few drops of lacquer thinner after mixing to make brushing easier and and extend the brush time by a minute or two. And I don't mix more Devcon than I can brush on 2 baits. As far as weakening Devcon by mixing solvent into it - that seems intuitively true but I haven't seen evidence one way or the other. Sure, it's weaker because the coating is thinner. But I can't tell a difference in the hardness of the final product.

Smart idea from Husky!

I too have this problem of D2T curing fast. I cannot do a whole swimbait with 4-5 pieces, instead I just do half at a time. If I dont by the time I get to the last pieces its starting to set. I use the syringe D2T so I know I am getting equal parts... I mix for 30 seconds to a minute with a brush in a medicine cup...then proceed to spread. I feel like I get 5 minutes after that till it starts to set and is unuseable. Just what I have experienced. I do live in the bay area with a warmer climate tho.

I have never tried anything else But from what I hear I think its time to get some DN's and try that!

into it - that seems intuitively true but I haven't seen evidence one way or the other. Sure, it's weaker because the coating is thinner. But I can't tell a difference in the hardness of the final product.

Smart idea from Husky!

Necessity is the mother of invention.;)

BTW the ratio was appx. 5 or 6 Etex to 1 D2T. That's not to say that's the ideal mix, but it is what I did in that instance. They are compatible so it's worth experimenting with. IOW, make an Etex mix,coat a plug, then add some D2T, coat another, then add more D2T for another, then compare.

I give my FoTins a base of an Epoxy coat and a few coats of SC 9000. FWIW, I noticed the drip off was much less with the Epoxy mixture than with Etex alone

Edited by Husky

Trust me, I mix perfect parts A and B... I use 60cc syringes and watch closely. My mix gets hard w/o any soft or gooey spots. I think the recipe has changed since I used it a couple years ago.

I just may be willing to sell it off and go back to E-Tex lite.

Edited by 21xdc