allstate48

Differents In Lips

I know there are different styles, and sizes of lips, but what does each do? If I wanted a shallow diver, which one would I use? What is the differents with a round nose, and a square nose? A lot of questions. Thanks Doug

The square bills are shallow divers,primarily thrown around cover such as blow downs.The square bill deflects off cover with minimal hang ups.The round bills are normaly deeper divers,the bigger the bill the deeper the crank dives.A coffin bill which is a longer square bill with the corners cut off dives deeper than a square bill but deflects off cover better than the round bills.If I am off on this someone will chime in and set me straight...Rob

I thnk rlcam is right. But some shallow baits with great reputations for fishing cover, like the D-Bait, have rounded lips so there are exceptions to the rule. Fast rise buoyancy, body shape, where you put the ballast, and hook size all work into making a good shallow cover bait.

@ allstate48

If you've got 20 bucks to spare , go and get the book "crankbait secrets" by Joe Bucher , everything about crankbaits and their different uses is thoroughly and easily understandable explained in there(of course also different lip configurations).

But sadly no lure building ! Do a google search on it !

good luck , diemai :yay:

I choose a lip for each crankbait I make, by testing several types, on the bank of the river. I have noticed that the action or the depth has very little (if nothing) to do with the fact that the lip is round, square, or coffin, for comparable sizes, of course. But other unusual types of lips (half moon, for instance)do change the action of the lure in most cases.

On the other hand, what changes greatly the action or depth is the angle of the lip, (I have also used bent lips, meaning I have changed the angle of the lip), the distance between the tow point and the lip (I have used 2 tow eye twisted wire) and the surface of the lip.

A shallow lure has more to do with the angle of the lip than with any other variable. But there are other things to take into consideration, as BobP pointed out. For example, a shallow diver is generally more buoyant than a deep diver.