tsbrown

Rattle Can ?'s

Hey,

I'm building some topwater musky baits similar to Poe's Giant Jackpot or a Spook. I'm planning to seal with thinned devcon and topcoat with either devcon or etex and am looking for some recommendations on spray cans. What's the best way to go -- small hobby shop cans, automotive or just plain hardware store stuff?

The colors/patterns that work best for me are pretty simple and looking to start simple. I'm sure there's a airbrush in my future though...

I've been lurking for a while, picking up lots of great info on this site. I'm a longtime fly tier and landed two fish -- 44" and 47" muskies -- on double cowgirls I made last spring. I've never boated a musky on a topwater and am looking forward to doing that on a homemade bait next year.

Thanks, Tim

I haven't used any other brands than Rust-Oleum, Krylon and Tamiya but whatever you use will probably work just fine. The brand I use the most is Rust-Oleum. My favorites are their "Painters Touch", "Specialty" (which includes flo. and metallic paint) and lacquer. I also use Rust-Oleum "Stops Rust" and "Bright Coat" but I dislike the Stops Rust because it takes 24 hours or more to dry. Another paint I like is Krylon X-Metals. These can be sprayed over silver paint or foil to get some really cool colors. As for size, I wouldn't recommend getting small (3oz.) cans; go with 12oz. cans because you will run out fast if you get the small cans, especially if you're painting large baits.

Hope this helps.

Ben

If you look at my gallery,all my repaints are done with rattle cans.I didn't have too good luck with the 97 cent walmart cans,so I use Krylon and Rustoleum.I base coat with Krylon Fusion.I have just started with my airbrush but don't think you can't get some really good paint jobs with spray cans.Just take your time and cut out alot of stencils and have fun.I tried the Krylon super glaze but it seemed to stay soft too long so I went with D2T.For Musky I think you would be better off with something other than the Super Glaze...Rob

Edited by rlcam