Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MikePaintsBaits

Heat Setting Paint

7 posts in this topic

Ok, here goes. As Im airbrushing my lures, after each coat of paint, I hit it with a hair dryer, wait 15min's and spray my next coat. Can I wait until all my coats are on, then heat set, or do each layer, am I missing anything?

Does anyone heat set ClearCoat, Im using DN's

Thanks Mike

I heat set in between each coat of paint(I use water based createx)! If you use lacquer paint in your airbrush that stuff almost dries instantly!

Hey Bass, Im using AutoAir & Createx

It makes no difference, however if your wrapping mesh or some other stencil material over the bait you need to heat set it first. Otherwise the stencil or mesh will rub the paint off the corners.....

It makes no difference, however if your wrapping mesh or some other stencil material over the bait you need to heat set it first. Otherwise the stencil or mesh will rub the paint off the corners.....

gunnie is right. If you plan to put mesh around a bait it is best to heat set whatever paint was sprayed prior. I typically hit the paint with the drier as I go and just do a good heating once its complete.

I shoot a color, dry it with the hair dryer, immediately shoot the next, etc until I finish painting. It should all be dry at that point.

Do not try to "heat set" clearcoat, especially not DN. It dries so fast anyway, you'll just mess it up.