Rob Olling

Sohumi Hooks???

Tried the #8 premium black nickle. Nice sharp hook but the quality control is lacking. Ordered a 1000, poured about 150. I found 13 hooks that were useless. That's not good math considering with VMC, Mustad, or Eagle Claw your lucky if you see 1 reject out of 100. Really like the VMC. Haven't fished the Sohumi yet.

Anybody use'em or see'em? I saw them at Barlow's, one of the few premium looking hooks that go down to size #8

I have used the 3/0 Sohumi 114 in a modified Erie jig mold with good success. Really sharp hook and probably the best part is the guys in my club that I gave some to for testing, really like them. Sharp point, med hvy wire and they say they have a good hook up ratio. I didn't have any quality issues but I only bought 50 to try them out. Wish I had bought 1000 as they are out of 3/0 and 4/0 now.

My 2c worth

can you compare them to a gamagaksu hook.so far I can't find anything that compares to them.The ones that I have been using I think are a little bit sharper than the bite me jigs

I'd rate them as good as Gamakatsu or the VMC Barbarian line of hooks. Nice finish and really sharp. I just wish I had bought more when I had the chance. I used the Sohumi 114 long shank in a modified Erie jig mold to get the hook eye straight out of the front of the jig head. If Barlow doesn't get some soon I guess I'll have to modify my VMC Barbarians to a 60 deg bend to get by.

I used the size 1 for Ned Heads.

I used 1000 and had 10 culls.

One issue I did notice was that if I needed to use an eye buster to get the paint out of any of the eyes, I did break a few doing that.

Overall, this is a super sharp hook that is ultra cheap. I haven't made up my mind if I like the EC  500BP or 570BP better yet,

Edited by earthworm77
  • Like 1

I tried a couple 50 packs of size 1’s a couple years ago, I think I had 10 or so that were unusable, as well as a bunch that were useable but twisted a little. I will say that they are sharp, and the price is good. Glad I bought a few thousand matzuos, they are going to be hard to replace for the price.

14 hours ago, Canga~ said:

I tried a couple 50 packs of size 1’s a couple years ago, I think I had 10 or so that were unusable, as well as a bunch that were useable but twisted a little. I will say that they are sharp, and the price is good. Glad I bought a few thousand matzuos, they are going to be hard to replace for the price.

Matzuo hooks have the worst quality control of any hook period. It isn't uncommon to have 15% of the hooks that are unusable.

Allen

6 hours ago, Munkin said:

Matzuo hooks have the worst quality control of any hook period. It isn't uncommon to have 15% of the hooks that are unusable.

Allen

Maybe it’s where I bought them from, but I separated over 3500 hooks into 100 packs and had 5 hooks that were bad. 

• Like 1