Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
finlander

Those Who Foil...

6 posts in this topic

At what point do you epoxy the lip in???? After the epoxy that covers the foil? It seems you would have to do it sooner than if one just painted the lure. Just fishin' for answers as I got into a spot tonight where I had to handle da bait...

At what point do you epoxy the lip in???? After the epoxy that covers the foil? It seems you would have to do it sooner than if one just painted the lure. Just fishin' for answers as I got into a spot tonight where I had to handle da bait...

I normally do 2 clear coats of either devcon 2 ton or enviro-tex. If its a crank Ill use devcon more often. I typically will put the lip in the lure in between the first a second coat. This way, I don't mess up the paint when handling the lure (still where latex gloves!!!!!!!). After I super glue the lip in, I put my 2nd coat on to reinforce and seal the edges of the lure.

I normally do 2 clear coats of either devcon 2 ton or enviro-tex. If its a crank Ill use devcon more often. I typically will put the lip in the lure in between the first a second coat. This way, I don't mess up the paint when handling the lure (still where latex gloves!!!!!!!). After I super glue the lip in, I put my 2nd coat on to reinforce and seal the edges of the lure.

That may have read wrong... pbr at midnight makes u say things u don't intend to sayc I normally clear after I foil... then paint... then put the lip in (wearing latex gloves!)... then a final clear... make sense? if not, ill wait til morning to reply ;)

I always install the lip before clearcoating, so the lip/body margin gets covered and waterproofed. If you are epoxying the bait to cover the foil before painting, I'd still hold off on the lip until just before clearcoating. BTW, I paint directly onto Venture BriteBak foil and then just clearcoat the bait. The BriteBak holds paint OK and it's thin enough not to be obtrusive along its edges.

I have two diff brands in the drawer in the shop. The thin one I bought recently from a dollar store. I'll have to check the name on it. One paint ran on this foil, but it may have been too thin. I'll try it, still learning after all these years...