Kris

For Those With .2 Tipped Airbrush

I've been reading here at TU and other places that you can't shoot Createx through a .2 tipped AB. Is it just Createx or is that you can't shoot ANY water based paint through a .2 tip?

What about Polytranspar or Wildlife?

What can you shoot through a .2 tip and what pressure?

I've got a .2mm tip and Createx is all I spray. Straight out of the bottle as well. Haven't had any problems with it. Are you trying to spray some type of metal flake mixed in with your paint? Metal flake won't spray through a .2mm tip. You need something like a .5mm for that.

As far as what pressure to use, depending on what I'm trying to do, I spray with anywhere from 10 psi to 40 psi with a gravity feed brush and Createx.

RG

Edited by RayburnGuy

I shoot Createx, Smith Wildlife, Polytranspar, Van Dyke - you name it - through my .2mm airbrush at 40 psi (or less) without thinning. The only acrylic paint it won't shoot are those with large metallic flakes like Smith Pearl Chrome. For that I use a .3mm tip airbrush.

Don't have a .2 tipped AB yet. Looking at getting one. But like I said in original post I read where people warned against Createx in a .2 tip.

I currently shoot Createx, Poytranspar and Smith Wildlife.

What .2 tipped AB are you using. Don't want to get into another AB debate thread here ... just curious.

I use an airbrushcity GD 100, .2, gravity feed. I shoot primarily Createx and Parma Faskolor. The only time I have an issue is with the Createx pearl white, pearl silver, and opaque white. I usually have to thin these or change to a .3 Iwata. Hope this helps. Good Luck.

BJ

No issues with Createx or the other el cheapo paints with a .2

I am new to airbrushing. I spent a good deal of last night learning and practicing with a new PS900. I have to say, initially, it wouldnt spray Createx with the 0.2 mm tip. INITIALLY. After mesing with it, and getting it blocked up pretty fast, I dismantled the nozzle/needle assembly and found it to have gum residue. I cleaned the needle with an EXACTO knife (not advisable) and some AB cleaner, reassembled and VOILA! I am now spraying Createx straight from the bottle.

It doesnt help that the PS900 does not have a useful manual.

This site helped a lot.... HOW TO AIRBRUSH.....

/bing

Yeah, they were probably assembling Chinese SKS automatic rifles at the factory and a worker moved over to the airbrush assembly line without washing his hands, contaminating your unit with cosmoline grease. :rolleyes: I wouldn't hesitate to shoot a little lacquer thinner or acetone through the brush to make sure you got rid of any heavy lubricant lurking in the tip.

Yeah, they were probably assembling Chinese SKS automatic rifles at the factory and a worker moved over to the airbrush assembly line without washing his hands, contaminating your unit with cosmoline grease. :rolleyes: I wouldn't hesitate to shoot a little lacquer thinner or acetone through the brush to make sure you got rid of any heavy lubricant lurking in the tip.

I don't know any better, is lacquer thinner or acetone safe for silicone o-rings? Ive got a gallon of both in my chem drawer :)

/bing

Does your brush say it has solvent resistant packing? Most airbrushes now do. Packing is behind the mix chamber and prevents paint from working its way into the back of the airbrush. Since some users paint with lacquer, solvent resistant packing has become pretty standard.

Edited by BobP