BigBaitkid

Basic Tools To Get Started

I am going to be getting lots of free time and during my free time i am going to start making Swimbaits. I first want to try a MS Slammer or AC plug like bait then try to make a shad bait. I am on about a 150$ budget and would like to know what am I going to need to get started. What tools what wood and any other small things.Thanks in Advance.

You can get away with all hand tools, but an electric drill will make life easier, especially if you already own one. The normal household electric drill will do the job, but is rather cumbersome. A dremel is the best tool for the job, but I fear that it will eat up too much of your budget. There are lots of cheaper mini drills on the market, but from my experience, you will spend more money on petrol, returning the cheap drills to the shop and trying to get your money back.

For use in the drill, you can buy a set of bits for use in a mini drill, including drum sanders + spare drums, cutting wheels + spare disks, end mill bit is useful, assortment of drill bits, I use 2.5mm for twisted eyes and 6mm for ballast holes.

box cutter knife for general carving/wittling.

fine toothed tenon saw, found in most hobby shops, for cutting lip slots (if you do any cranks) and cutting profile shape of lighter woods. If you use dense woods, this may hard work, so a regular tenon saw might be more practical.

Emery paper, various grades, 80, 150 & 600 grits.

Wire cutters if you are going to twist your own eyes (much cheaper than buying screw eyes).

The rest of the money can be spent on materials. I worked from my kitchen table for the first 18 months and this was all I used.

Materials:

I used balsa because it is easy to work with, but do a few searches on various woods and make a decision. It is personal choice and what is readily available to you.

epoxy filler, for filling ballast holes.

5 min epoxy for gluing lips and other hardware.

30 min devcon epoxy for sealing and top coat

denatured alcohol for thinning seal coat and general clean-up.

aerosol can spray paints of your choice. Use search function for types. I used rustoleum. Or you can hand paint with acrylics.

I am sure I have missed something and lots of members are going to add/modify this list.

The search function will be your best friend, but ask if you get stuck. If you select advanced search (top right of page), type "started", select titles only and select hardbaits forum, this will give you a list of 16 similar discussions that will help you a lot.

Dave