finlander

Loctite Epoxy

I think epoxy makes a superior undercoating if you use one that has enough cure time to brush it on the lure, and which will level out to form a nice smooth surface. 5 min epoxies do neither. The only time I ever brushed on 5 min epoxy was by mistake when I picked up the wrong syringe. It was a disaster.

Like Bob is saying, get a slow cure epoxy (30 min) and I think 'Loktite' does make one but have never used it. I also have been using epoxy (D2T 30 min) for an undercoat and as I have been building a couple of new rods recently I decided to see what 'AftCote' is like for a top coat finish . The D2T gives a nice, although brittle, firm/smooth base to work on (using PVC foam) and as a top coat the 'AftCote' is a lot more flexible, shatter proof and scratch resist, and gives IMO, a superb clear top coat which flows right out and NO bubbles - the biggest drawback is the cure time (apx 8 hrs to touch)- also no matter what they say about epoxies, this stuff also yellows just like all the others, but it's a very slow process compared to some.

As for durability, the jury is still out on how it handles teeth/hook rash etc.Pete

Anyone have a report on this producet? I want to use it for sealing the wood, and glueing in eyes and lips. Etex will go over the top. Bought it at Meijers, and I think this is what WallWorld sells too. Thanks.

i was not pleased with the Locktite epoxies. they didn't have the strength of the Devcon.

Called the one Ace Hardware in town and they carry Devcon 5 minute for a price of #4.70. It was like 1/2 that at WallyWorld. There must be another source out there. Maybe try the other 5 min epoxies with Etex mixed in. I have 2 boxes, quart size, unopened in the cabinet. Gonna use it one way or another.

Called the one Ace Hardware in town and they carry Devcon 5 minute for a price of #4.70. It was like 1/2 that at WallyWorld. There must be another source out there.

Finlander,

$4.70 is a great price compared to what Bass Pro Shops wants for it. I found Devcon 2-ton in the Nashville store a couple of nights ago for $6.99!

Gene