finlander

Determining It It's Lexan

I think I had asked this years back. I have several sheets of 'plastic' in my shop. I have aquired these thru work. Is there a good way to tell if ti is lexan or not? They all have a different feel to them. This winter I could leave one outside to see if it cracks. Some are really flexible. How about putting small lip size pieces in the freezer? Or trying to snap one? Any ideas? I have enough of this stuff to last the rest of my life, I would like to use the correct one however. Thanks, Bruce

All of the "Lexan" (the G.E. brand of polycarbonate, the generic material) that I've seen comes with adhesive paper or plastic protection on both sides of the sheet to prevent it from being scratched. Polycarbonate will bend and remain somewhat bent after heavy stressing but it will not break. It just is not brittle like plastic. That's why Lexan is used for safety glazing in windows. I think G.E. invented Lexan for cockpit canopies on P-51 Mustang fighters.