Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Volp1

Painting over foil

6 posts in this topic

Guys,

A quick question about foils. Can you lightly paint over foil and still have that foil "shimmer" coming though the paint? :huh:

Thanks.

Volp1

This is what I have done that I have gotten great reults from. I mixed food coloring (the paste type that you pick up from a hobby store .. not the easter egg type) with Testors high gloss clear acrylic. This makes a wonderful transparent paint that will still keep the shine of your foil.

I do it all the time.....if you are using lacquers-you can use clear lacquer to reduce the amount of pigment in a color. If you are using water base-look for a blending medium or intercoat clear you can reduce the pigment with. For a really transparent look-buy transparent colors.-i.e.-Candy Apple. Intense, whatever the manufacturer calls them-be warned they are bleedind colors and will bleed through any other colors you apply over them!!!

If you have a light enough touch with the gun then you might be ok. Otherwise I would go to lacquers and shoot translucent paints like candies and pearls.

Skeeter

Why not put a thin coat of clear on it instead of shooting on the foil itself. That way if you don't like it you can wipe it off. Some of dick nites paints are great for the transparent look.