ksredneck

How To Fish A Jerk Bait?

how are you suppose to work a jerk bait? Is their a specific rhytm or is it random?

Hi

It will vary from bait to bait. I have baits which I can change the whole way they work with different retrieves. Some are almost like crankbaits with an action of their own. Retrieves vary from tiny taps of the rod tip to sweeping draws with the rod. I think the answer to the question is work it like the fish want it and experiment, it's an open book.

I think better jerkbait fishermen have a retrieve designed to make the bait dart at random intervals. The problem with fishermen is we naturally want to do things in rhythm. Bait fish don't dart rhythmically so you have to change up the jerk cadence with cranking the reel. Crank crank jerk, crank jerk, crank crank crank, jerk jerk, or whatever. Bass can't count but they sure can recognize what looks natural or not. Once you get a fish to bite, repeat that cadence. Then you have to consider how hard to jerk, and that depends on the mood of the fish, your rod/line setup, and the specific jerkbait. Generally, the cooler the water, the less energy you want to impart and the slower you want the cadence. A Rapala X-Rap has a lot more natural action than a Smithwick Rogue, so take the jerkbait into account. Also, if you're fishing with a non-stretch superline and a stiff rod, you are imparting a lot more energy to the bait than if you were using a softer rod and monofilament. Bottom line, like any presentation, you need to experiment to see what the fish want, then give it to them. Take a look at the articles section on the Bass Fishing Home Page for an article by Terry Battisti. It's the best primer on jerkbaiting I've ever read.