HAWGHUNNA

Foamie/soft Platic Hybrid Swimbait

I am in the BAIT HEAD planning stages of a new Hybrid Swimbait.

I'm a lil' torn between ideas of how to attach the Soft Plastic (Back 2/3 of the bait) to the Head of the bait (Foam)...

NOTE: Where the 2 portions meet will be oval shaped,as the bait will be in the shape of a pan fish/shad.

The 3 ideas that I have are...

1. Leave 3 straight stainless steel shanks with a 45 degree angle (1/4" long) bend on each one,exposed from back of the head ..... the soft plastic portion of the Swim Bait would then be pushed onto the barbs and secured with glue.

2. Leave a large stainless steel coil spring exposed from the back of the head,and screw the soft plastic portion of the Swim Bait against the head.Securing it there with glue.

3. Leave 2 dowel type foam pegs protruding from the head (molded into the head),and have 2 matching holes in the Soft Plastic portion of the Swim Bait that fit perfectly together.Again held into place with glue.

Has anyone tried either of these methods,and care to reply with the pros and cons of each?

# 2 would be difficult to align correctly in my opinion,What are your opinions on which method would work the best?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by HAWGHUNNA

I'm a lil' torn between ideas of how to attach the Soft Plastic (Back 2/3 of the bait) to the Head of the bait (Foam)...

NOTE: Where the 2 portions meet will be oval shaped,as the bait will be in the shape of a pan fish/shad.

1. Leave 3 straight stainless steel shanks with a 45 degree angle (1/4" long) bend on each one,exposed from back of the head ..... the soft plastic portion of the Swim Bait would then be pushed onto the barbs and secured with glue.

2. Leave a large stainless steel coil spring exposed from the back of the head,and screw the soft plastic portion of the Swim Bait against the head.Securing it there with glue.

3. Leave 2 dowel type foam pegs protruding from the head (molded into the head),and have 2 matching holes in the Soft Plastic portion of the Swim Bait that fit perfectly together.Again held into place with glue.

Has anyone tried either of these methods,and care to reply with the pros and cons of each?

# 2 would be difficult to align correctly in my opinion,What are your opinions on which method would work the best?

Thanks in advance.

Never done this before... But I would say #3 would fit the best and have the least impact on the soft plastic portion of the bait. I use super glue religiously on all my soft plastic tackle because it holds like a champ. I would avoid the corkscrew... ur right, that sounds difficult to get everything lined up (even though it would hold the best). I really don't think you have a problem with the soft plastic pulling off before its ruined using normal super glue (gel). But like I said, I've never done this before... good luck.

Thanks in advance.

I would go with number three since the pegs would have a greater surface area and a better holding surface for the glued area. They would also be lighter in weight than the steel pegs which would be a big advantage when getting the ballast right in the bait.

Thanks Y'all,

After thinking about the Head design for the last couple of days,I've decided to go with number 3 as well.

This design would keep the head clear of all unnecessary wires,keeping the head free for ballast and hook/tie hangers.

I appreciate the advice,and I'll keep you guys posted on the results.

On number 3 if your going to do a foam head it might be worth a shot to make the soft plastic part at were it blends bigger and at an angle, this wan you can either press the soft pastic into the foam head or use a 2 part foam head to encapsulate the soft plastic.

kinda like putting a ball on the end of the soft plastic and haveing the foam head with the same cut out in the head, thus encapsulating the soft plastic so you can't pull it out that easy.

if none of this makes sence I can sketch you up a picture. to explain it better

On number 3 if your going to do a foam head it might be worth a shot to make the soft plastic part at were it blends bigger and at an angle, this wan you can either press the soft pastic into the foam head or use a 2 part foam head to encapsulate the soft plastic.

kinda like putting a ball on the end of the soft plastic and haveing the foam head with the same cut out in the head, thus encapsulating the soft plastic so you can't pull it out that easy.

if none of this makes sence I can sketch you up a picture. to explain it better

Heres a screen shot the blue color is the foam head, the red is the cut out of the foam head, the green is the plastic.

do if you have 2 piece of foams (2 halfs that that you glue together or pin set the soft plastic bait in one half then put the other half over it., like wise if you wanted to just push it in to a 1 piece head then the soft plastic will squezze down enough to just push in, then you could pin it

capture.jpg

capture.jpg

capture.jpg

capture.jpg

capture.jpg

capture.jpg

capture.jpg

capture.jpg

post-11346-125893187544_thumb.jpg

Edited by Delw

Great idea Del ....

But,I have changed courses ..... At least for the time being.

I've decided to go ahead and use the model that I shaped out of composite deck materials for the actual head instead of a model to use for building a mold for foam heads.I inserted a stainless steel through wire system,and decided to go with the #1 idea that I had to insert the soft plastic body with.

I also used the composite deck material to cut out,and form the model for my soft plastic body.I will pour the first mold for the body tomorrow.

I have a proto-type pic attached,you will see reference marks on the body where I'm thinking about cutting grooves on each side of the body (about 3/16" wide) that angle back inwards towards the head,the grooves would be about 3/8" deep on the angle,leaving about 1/4" thickness of plastic between the grooves.

The grooves would allow more movement in the tail section .... If the bait needs the grooves,I will just cut the model,and build another mold.

Constant Threat Baits' Dr. "KRANK-N-STYNE"

Edited by HAWGHUNNA