Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
finlander

Using A Sealer,which One?

3 posts in this topic

The finishes are getting much better on my lures after I started sealing the wood using a thinned epoxy. Not the Etex, as I use that only for the final coats. Before I used Kilz, but I believe that layed on top, not penetrating the wood. What is out there to buy? I hate to use an epoxy up as I want to use it for the lip and screw eyes. Is there something I can dip the lures into? A gallon of something???? Thanks.

Personally, I think thinned Devcon is the best undercoating and it's worth using a little of it to get its leveling and water resistance. Another dipped undercoat is a very mixture of propionate (aka prop) dissolved in acetone. It requires multiple dips (5-8 typically) to get a really smooth coating but dries quickly between dips. I think a couple of TUers sell prop pellets. Another I'm trying out now is Target Coatings EM-9300, a water based "polyurethane". So far I prefer epoxy or prop.

The finishes are getting much better on my lures after I started sealing the wood using a thinned epoxy. Not the Etex, as I use that only for the final coats. Before I used Kilz, but I believe that layed on top, not penetrating the wood. What is out there to buy? I hate to use an epoxy up as I want to use it for the lip and screw eyes. Is there something I can dip the lures into? A gallon of something???? Thanks.