RayburnGuy

Possible Storage Solution For Dick Nite's?

Was reading through some of the posts in the archives and came across an idea that Vodkaman had about using I.V. drip bags for storing Dick Nite's top coat in. Checked online for these bags and didn't come up with anything feasible. Then thought about using one of the old red rubber douche bags. It has a threaded plug in the top of the bag and, if memory serves me correctly, a clip on the hose to stop flow. The bag could be filled with Bloxygen to remove the air and the top coat could then be siphoned into it. By sealing the screw plug at the top of the bag the Bloxygen could not escape and would stay sitting on top of the clear coat as it was being used. It could be hung up close to your work area and the flexible hose would allow for easy access. Hoping some of you experienced DN guys will chime in on this and give your opinion. (that's a hint Dean) :whistle:

RG

Ben - like you say whatever you use it would save a lot of problems if it were collapsable, and also has to withstand the thinners used in D.N etc, which I think if it is the same stuff I have used is xylene, not too sure weather rubber would stand up to this -

I was thinking along the lines of the small plastic bags used in 'wine casks', which at least stand up to the acid in wine. We just have to be game enough to waste $50 on a can to find out???.pete

Thanks for replying to this thread Pete. Always looking for input and different perspectives. I have my doubts as to whether the bags they make these days are actually made of rubber, but I thought about this problem and tried calling one of the suppliers to find out what they're made of, but they had already closed for the day. Plan on trying again tomorrow. I have no clue as to what type of solvents are in DN or how they would effect different materials. Still hoping that someone who knows a lot more about DN will take a look at this post and maybe have some answers. Taking a chance on wasting a bunch of lure coat is the only alternative I have at the moment, other than calling Dick.

Ben

I am pretty sure it will be xylene - never used D,N because we cannot fly it over, but there are similar moisture cure products around - I have one here that is NOT moisture cure but has pretty much exactly the same properties (except the drying problem) but it is twice the price.pete

Ben, google "solvent resistant plastic' and you'll get some industry sites that list the chemical resistant properties of various plastics. The problem is you need to know the specific solvents used in DN to match them against candidate plastics. As far as dumping $50 worth of DN into a bag..... better you than me, brother! I'll keep mine in screw top jars with Bloxygen until you report results :rolleyes:

Riverman, so far I've tried four different clear coats, Etex, D2T, Target 9300, and DN. Out of those 4 I like DN the best. It doesn't pull away from edges like the epoxies and in my opinion it gives a better looking and more durable finish. But you can take my opinion and $1.50 and it might get you a cup of coffee. That's why Baskin-Robbins makes 31 flavors of ice cream. So everyone can order the flavor they like the most.

RG

I can appreciate that RG and I respect your opinion. I will admit that DN is a good clear coat. As good as DN or etex? That depends on what you are using it for. I build mostly musky lures and DN goes on so thin that it can't compare to DN or etex for pure protection. I do like DN though for bass lures and smaller lures that might otherwise run incorrectly with a thicker clear coat. I also like it for swimbaits.........again because it goes on thinner.

As for epoxy peeling, I have customers that are fishing musky lures I built five years ago that are still going strong despite being fish hard. These lures are completely covered in deep scratches from huge teeth and yet they are still working fine. If DN went on thicker and didn't have the storage problems I would jump on the bandwagon!

Some time ago I bought a pint of DN. I didn't know exactly what to do with it so I bought some baby food jars to split it up. I put the lids on tight and then taped the lid seams to make sure they didn't leak. I started using one of them. I poked a tiny hole in the lid and I squeezed out a bit of DN and then quickly put tape over the hole. I then put the jar in a zip loc bag and squeezed out all the air. Guess what? In about two weeks the whole jar was ruined. It's a good clear coat and I know some here love it but the problems associated with storage make it too much of a hassle for me.

Has anyone tried storing it in a syringe? A syringe would allow you to keep the air out if it were capped.

jed

Edited by RiverMan

Good idea on the syringe.....but it would have to be a big one :) Since I started using Bloxygen Finish Preserver about a year ago I haven't had any problem with curing in the container. I dip baits and that's probably the worst case scenario for getting your DN dosed with moisture.